Best bit for horse which is snatching the reins

sjdress

Visit site
Horse is just coming back into work after some time off. She’s feeling well and her go to move is to literally yank her head down , so hard sometimes that she pulls the reins out my hands. She’s always done this and I know she’ll stop once she’s in proper work again, as she always does. so just wondered if anyone could recommend a bit for the meantime (for hacking). She actually sits behind the contact so doesn’t need anything with poll
Pressure... I need to get the head up!

bouncing_ball

Visit site
Horse is just coming back into work after some time off. She’s feeling well and her go to move is to literally yank her head down , so hard sometimes that she pulls the reins out my hands. She’s always done this and I know she’ll stop once she’s in proper work again, as she always does. so just wondered if anyone could recommend a bit for the meantime (for hacking). She actually sits behind the contact so doesn’t need anything with poll
Pressure... I need to get the head up!
Bridging reins?

Lois Lame

Visit site
She actually sits behind the contact so doesn’t need anything with poll Pressure... I need to get the head up!

I think it's also necessary to get her nose out. In fact I think it's the main thing.

This is out of my depth.

I went to a Philippe Karl clinic one year and I must say that the majority of it probably went over my head, but he dedicated a lot of time to encouraging horses who were at all behind the bit to get their confidence back.

I don't think this is a bit issue. I think this will need help from a (real) expert.

Philippe Karl did put out some DVDs. He is a person I greatly respect. His aim was to teach teachers so that he could obtain a bigger, wider, more effective help to the horse owner and horse rider. (Definitely NOT in it for the loot.)

Oh that's another thing. He was one of the few, maybe the ONLY man I've ever seen giving a clinic who didn't have eyes for the ladies (or gents). That's beside the point, I know, but what I mean he is so professional.

BTW, what bit are you currently using? Now that I've read your post again, your horse has the head and neck down and the nose in. I think a snaffle is all you need. The skill will be in how you encourage him to move into the contact not force him into it.

The horse takes the contact, not the rider. The amount of pressure the horse wants is up to the individual horse. Some are lighter than others, but he chooses.

Of course, a light contact doesn't mean sitting behind the contact. This is to be avoided if at all possible. Apparently it is worse than the giraffe impersonation.

Anyway I hope someone who can help a LOT better than can I will be along soon.

Last edited:

Mule

Visit site
Grass reins maybe or even just lengthening your reins so she can't pull you forward when she does it.

sjdress

Visit site
I think it's also necessary to get her nose out. In fact I think it's the main thing.

This is out of my depth.

I went to a Philippe Karl clinic one year and I must say that the majority of it probably went over my head, but he dedicated a lot of time to encouraging horses who were at all behind the bit to get their confidence back.

I don't think this is a bit issue. I think this will need help from a (real) expert.

Philippe Karl did put out some DVDs. He is a person I greatly respect. His aim was to teach teachers so that he could obtain a bigger, wider, more effective help to the horse owner and horse rider. (Definitely NOT in it for the loot.)

Oh that's another thing. He was one of the few, maybe the ONLY man I've ever seen giving a clinic who didn't have eyes for the ladies (or gents). That's beside the point, I know, but what I mean he is so professional.

This isn’t her normal way of going, it’s just what she does when she is super fresh and excitable. We’ve worked very hard on her accepting the contact and she goes beautifully when in proper work, competing BD. It’s just a little something to help me out at the moment until she‘s chilled a bit more!

sjdress

Visit site
This isn't a matter of bits, it's a matter of training. Takes two to pull, or snatch.

As I have said above she only does this when she is fresh and excitable! Some horses chuck a buck or get wound up, she snatches at the reins. I’ve had the horse a long time and know she will stop once in ‘proper’ work again. It would just be handy for some additional help until we get there as she is only walking at the moment which she obviously finds boring! However I hacked her out this morning and she was very chilled with no snatching at all!

9tails

Visit site
Coming back into work, as well as excited about going out so she's curling up behind the contact. I suspect the rein snatching may be her way to release muscle tension. Going with her until her muscles aren't so fatigued and hacking with calm companions should help as you say she doesn't do it when in full work.

Lois Lame

Visit site
Rather than bridging your reins, which will give her something to pull against, open your hands (move them further apart), so that she doesn't have anything to pull against.

This is interesting, Pearlsasinger.

Can you (or anyone) explain more about this? I understand not giving them something to pull against but I can't picture or understand the opening of the hands by moving the hands further apart from each other and what this does (as opposed to giving more rein).

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
This is interesting, Pearlsasinger.

Can you (or anyone) explain more about this? I understand not giving them something to pull against but I can't picture or understand the opening of the hands by moving the hands further apart from each other and what this does (as opposed to giving more rein).

Changes the angles. The bit is no longer along the same plane as the rider's wrists and elbows so there is no nice straight line to yank along.

Imagine trying to pull on a rope when the other end is attached to something off to the side of you in comparison to pulling a rope attached to something directly in front of you.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
There’s some excellent posts about this exact issue on Sylvia Lochs page on fb. Some good responses.