Best boots for hacking

noblesteed

Visit site
Hi there,
I have a veteran gelding who is 6 months into rehab for a damaged tendon sheath and having annular ligament cut on a hind leg.
He's doing well but the vet said prgnosis is guarded as there is still scar tissue within the tendon sheath.
I would therefore like to ensure this fetlock is always protected to prevent over extension when carrying my big heavy weight. We only hack due to his arthritis but we do go over varied terrain such as through fords, muddy tracks, beach and the sea. The boots I am currently using are disintegrating after 3 months use. They are the second pair of the same type that I have ruined - I bought a set of 4 but only put them on hind legs! They are PE cross country type sport boots that wrap around the pastern, fetlock and lower leg.
I would like some new ones that won't fall apart!

Clueless

Visit site
Hi there,
I have a veteran gelding who is 6 months into rehab for a damaged tendon sheath and having annular ligament cut on a hind leg.
He's doing well but the vet said prgnosis is guarded as there is still scar tissue within the tendon sheath.
I would therefore like to ensure this fetlock is always protected to prevent over extension when carrying my big heavy weight. We only hack due to his arthritis but we do go over varied terrain such as through fords, muddy tracks, beach and the sea. The boots I am currently using are disintegrating after 3 months use. They are the second pair of the same type that I have ruined - I bought a set of 4 but only put them on hind legs! They are PE cross country type sport boots that wrap around the pastern, fetlock and lower leg.
I would like some new ones that won't fall apart!

I'm in a similar position, but not so far along... Gentle daily walks andd another 7weeks of box rest, before rescanning. But my boy is being bandaged, as considered more supportive... We also were in hand walking with the PE sports boots, that have an elastic strap under the fetlock, but I have no idea how they would stand up to real work. I'm following this with great interest.

Btw, it's the fleece bandages. What do people think about the half fleece, half elastic bandages?

noblesteed

Visit site
That is interesting Clueless.
I tried initially riding in fleece polo type bandages but I was worried they would heat up his leg too much. I also found they got waterlogged and heavy when they got wet.
May be a different type of bandage may be good then.
I also am considering stretch and flex training wraps. But again, not sure how they will cope with the mud.

nato

Visit site
I really rate the premier Equine sports boots - I use the triple layer ones, have had them for two years and they've held up really well. I use them on her back legs for eventing. Out hacking I use the premier Equine eventing boots in front and the sports boots behind .

You could also try the Le Mieux version, they may hold up better?

Clueless

Visit site
I hadn't considered overheating ... Nor the weight of mud... The sports boots may be the best bet then. The cross country boots I have don't have the additional under strap. I've a few weeks yet to make those choices as we are only doing roadwork as yet. Noblesteed, the ones I have are the 2013 air teque sports boots. If I see the triple layer ones on special offer I may invest.

crystalclear

Visit site
It's a difficult choice isn't it, do you rehab with boots to protect it, or not use boots so the leg potentially gets stronger and doesn't reply on boots

Clueless

Visit site
Luckily, I don't have to make the choice as I'm under vets instructions.. And I'm still dithering about boots and different bandages... It's impossible, and I worry about every options pros and cons!

noblesteed

Visit site
In terms of not booting to allow the leg to strengthen, I have opted not to boot horse in the field. He was initially wearing boots for turnout but these were the pair pf premier equine sports boots that disintegrated! I then decided not to boot for turnout so as to allow the leg to get stronger.
Vet instructed bandaging or booting to ride though. I am going to call him out later this month for a check-up so hopefully he can answer my questions about boots/bandages etc.
The boots are the premier equine sports boots. Not the triple layer ones though. The boots have been fine but the top layer of fabric (that the velcro sticks to) has come away from the neoprene backing. This means the boots can't be fastened tight enough. I am considering sending them back as, as I said earlier, it's the second pair that have done this.
Perhaps the triple layer ones may be better?

nato

Visit site
I have always found PE very helpful. It could be worth ringing them and explaining your issue.

That being said, I really rate the triple layer ones - have stood up to xc, hacking and daily schooling in a wet arena!