best calmer for a horse that wont catch and hes to nervouse to get near.

Clare_horse

Visit site
hi i have recently bought a new pony hes a welsh D and hes been badly treated in the past, i have been working with him for a while and we had started to build up trust and things i had turned him out and catching him in a small area but a few nights ago he got out into the field with all the other geldings and i managed to catch him easy so i thought i would just put him back out there as he had trashed my electric fence!
but last night i went to catch him and he wouldn't catch so we chased him down one end of field away from the others so that i could try and get his attention with food without the others but he decided to jump out of field onto a main road :/ lucky he wondered into a open field that backed onto the field he was in originally but we managed to get him back though a bit of the fence into the field again but not im bothered about him jumping out again
i was thinking of possibly trying the instant calmer out there and mixing then with his feed and then trying to catch him again but i don't no what one is best?

anyone out there had any similar situations that could possibly suggest the best calmer for the job!
thanks!

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I wouldn't bother trying to use a calmer, I just don't think it will work.

I'd sort the electric fence out and put him back in the small area and keep him there until he associates you with good things, rather than being chased around and scared further. If you can't catch him whilst he's in with the others to put him back in the small area you may have to take everything else out of the field and see if you can get him then. I have one who's very similar to what you are describing and often that's the only way I can catch him.

Clare_horse

Visit site
that the problem i cant take everything out of the field :/ i was thinking a calmer and then trying to get close to him as if u have feed hes your best friend normally but we had to chase him last night i no its not the best thing but when it was getting dark at 9 at night it was only option to get him back in field :/ i just feel lost have no idear thought we were going in right direction but obvs not now! :(
thanks thoo x

be positive

Visit site
I agree a calmer is just that, it is not a sedative and is unlikely to make any difference to his need to take flight.
You need to try an calmly get him into an area where you can spend time regaining his confidence, preferably without chasing him anywhere otherwise he may jump out again.

Clare_horse

Visit site
yeahh i did have us booked in for a join up sesh but unless i catch him we wont be going to that this week :) i might try puttin up a pen like thing with my fencing n sitting there with feed n see if he comes in?
do you think that might work ?

TuscanBunnyGirl

Visit site
have you considered popping some valerian leaves in his feed? it won't fix the situation but might help calm his anxiety slightly.
i'd be tempted to get comfy in his paddock with a book and let time do the talking :p

SizzlerB

Visit site
Is there a reason you need to catch him at the moment ?

I "saved" a terrified section a 4 months ago and had the same problem - kept her sectioned in a restricted grazing area and she kept smashing through electric fencing and post and rail. I was terrified she was going to cause herself some real damage so I let her have the run of the field and went about my daily routine of watering and poo picking.

I know have a loving pony who I can catch and groom all over - she still has a long way to go but my point is, if you dont need to catch him just yet, just let him be a "horse" for a while - it may not do the trick but it certainly worked for my girl and also allowed her the choice to come and see that actually I wasnt that bad atall!

Good luck :)

Clare_horse

Visit site
that what i did for last week when he was on his own in the pen i made haha! got my books out n just read n read n he will come towards u take a mouth full of feed or treats ect n then back of so hes just out of reach (hes not daft) and yeah hes turned out with others and he was pally with my other youngster but they seem to have fallen out when there out with others (my youngster is always by the boss's side haha) and hes mainly on his own from what i have seen :)
and where could i get them leaves from that what i was thinking along the line to stop him stressing n to try and ease him as i hate to see him so worked up breaks me heart :(

Clare_horse

Visit site
Is there a reason you need to catch him at the moment ?

theirs is a reason the yard dont want him out there anymore and want him in a stable and i don't want to run the risk of him getting out again!
also i have a booking with a lady that can help me with natural horseman ship as this worked on my youngster but i need a refreshers course haha :)