Best/cheapest NEW car/4x4 that will pull a trailer? H needs a new company car...

billylula

Visit site
H is due to get a new company car at the end of this year. He currently has a BMW 5 series estate which iirc cost about £30 grand. He has to get a new car for tax reasons (stupid I know). We have one pony and due to get a horse this year (for me :)). Currently we don't have a car that can pull a trailer so reliant on friends to take dd places with the pony. I'd love a trailer but first we need a car to pull it! He can't get a Landrover Disco/Toyota Landcruiser as too expensive. CAn anyone recommend a NEW car under £25/30 grand that is capable of pulling two horses in a trailer (Ifor Williams HB505)? H suggested a freelander but I don't think they have enough puff.

billylula

Visit site
What Car mag recommends a nissan x trail - surely not????? Cannot believe they would tow for more than a few miles before the clutch gives out!

Kat

Visit site
I don't think the new sorento has enough oomph to tow two. The pre 2007 model had massive tow capacity, the newer one is substantially lower.

I would look at the less popular makes and models, as you pay a lot of a badge. Also look at the commercial vehicles, Toyota Hilux, Mitsubishi L200, Nissan Navarra, Ford Ranger etc they are a bit cheaper than 4x4s but have 4wd and decent tow capacity.

I know a few people who tow with an x-trail ok, not sure whether it would manage two in a decent sized trailer though, the people I know only take one.

What about a Mitsubishi Shogun?

billylula

Visit site
its a minefield!! Think I might just try a bank loan for a lorry! Shogun is creeping into too expensive territory (you pay tax on a company car on the list price so not worth buying second hand). Shame about the sorento :confused:

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
What Car mag recommends a nissan x trail - surely not????? Cannot believe they would tow for more than a few miles before the clutch gives out!
My X-trail sport has 140k miles on the clock, about half of them towing, still on it's first clutch, same turbo, in fact, absolutely nothing has gone significantly wrong with it in the 8 years it has been going... just sayin ;)
ETS the towing capacity of the new one is 2.2t, which means that 2 horses in a lightweight trailer (Bateson, Cheval Liberte etc) would be just fine.

wes

Visit site
Why hasn't the Freelander 2 enough puff?

They can pull 2000kg and have around 160-180hp IIRC

I test drove one recently and the auto version went very well

alwaysbroke

Visit site
X Trail would get my vote, know a few people who tow with them and they would get another a drop of a hat (that is if you can get a Nissan dealer to actually speak to you, went into our local dealership with OH twice recently made it very obvious that we were interested in a new X Trail, got completely ignored, good to see in this economic climate Nissan sales are so good they can turn business away)

Shazzababs

Visit site
Hyundai Santa Fe.

The New model tows enough for 2 horses and its MPG isn't too bad for normal driving either.

Also the VW Tiguan (Escape Model Only) will also tow 2 but is a smaller vehicle. We didn't think it had enough boot room for us when we were looking.

Now waiting til 2013 for there to be some 3yr old Santa Fe's.

billylula

Visit site
I don't (have a licence). But will get one. I don't think H needs one though as he passed before 1997?

Interesting about the X Trail. It was what we wanted in the first place. Someone told us they were not good for towing, about the same as a freelander. My pony's former owner brought him over in a trailer with a freelander, she said it was ok but after about 20 mins it started to smell a bit ;)

ROG

Visit site
I don't (have a licence). But will get one. I don't think H needs one though as he passed before 1997?
Before 1997 the driver will have B+E

If you have no licence at all then you will need to do B and then B+E unless you want to tow under the very restrictive B towing rules - see the towing clinic link in my signature

Cluny

Visit site
We tow with a 3 litre Hilux double cab which is fab, but if you don't have a box on the back, you are limited with boot space.

Our other vehicle is a Jeep Grand Cherokee which is absolutely fab to tow with, incredibly smooth and rated to tow 3.5 tonnes.

Both vehicles have 3 litre diesel turbo engines but the Hilux is more fuel efficient.

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
He will need to check if there are any other restrictions in place as far as his car choice is concerned. We have to have cars will less then x amount of emissions and they also have to be able to do a min of 45mph - all makes your tax liability a little less. But it does mean that the only 4x4 on out list that would be able to tow anything were the new RAV4 or the Ford Kuga - both are around 25k. I had the RAV4 - really nice car and came with everything as standard BUT I wouldn't tow more than one horse with it:eek:

Flashpaddler

Visit site
A Mercedes E320 CDI and an Audi A6 3.0 CDI can both tow 2100kg (100kg more than a Freelander). Your OH might get this past a fleet manager easier than a 4x4.

nikanita

Visit site
I tow with a Nissan Pathfinder - don't even notice you've got the trailer on the back. Used to have an Audi Allroad before that - that was a great car, brilliant for towing - shame you need new, I know someone selling a 09 Allroad, lovely condition and a good price - all the extra's.

magichorse

Visit site
I've got Ford Kuga All wheel drive. Cost £23,000 ish. I think it can tow up to 2200kg. I pull a single Ifor with mine and can't tell its there. It does 39mpg when not towing so pretty economical for a 4X4

Becki1802

Visit site
I used this link when buying my 4x4 and trailer. It was brilliant and saved me clicking through the specs of all the cars looking for the braked towing weight.

http://www.towinghorsetrailers.co.uk/towing_vehicles.htm

Personally, I went with the Kia Sorento Diesel based on its reviews for reliability and fuel economy and that it was £1000s less than any other. The brand new ones come with a 7 year warranty!!!!!
It tows my Ifor 510 with 2 horses of 600kg each both with ease and legally (v important!). You have a max braked weight of 3000kg.

My other half pulled a face when I suggested Kia, we went for a test driver and read the many reviews which & what car and he soon changed his tune. If you put a different logo on the front he wouldn't turn his nose up but the lesser known Kia logo is why it is £1000s cheaper!!

Don't bother with a Freelander - even Landrover told me it was underpowered for more than one horse! Do you want a car or a twin cab for your day to day use? As that rules out about 50% of the vehicles with enough grunt.

Hope this helps!

PS factor in £900 for your B+E!!!!