best clippers for beginners

Beth_0480

Visit site
Hi everyone :)
im looking to purchase my first pair of clippers.
I'm not sure what type to buy. im not looking to spend mega bucks but want something that will last and not break after a couple of uses. I would hopefully be wanting to clip feathers as well as the rest of the body.
is it worth buying second hand? or will I just get ripped off ?
Thank you in advance!

Coblette

Visit site
I bought the masterclip rangers as they were only £160 and needed to be able to get through my cobs course hair. I’d never clipped before and managed to do a good Irish clip ??. I’ve since fully clipped inc feathers and they were great!! They have a 2 year warranty and for the money I’m impressed so far

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Hi everyone :)
im looking to purchase my first pair of clippers.
I'm not sure what type to buy. im not looking to spend mega bucks but want something that will last and not break after a couple of uses. I would hopefully be wanting to clip feathers as well as the rest of the body.
is it worth buying second hand? or will I just get ripped off ?
Thank you in advance!

For use on horse, or people?

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
I did my first clip this year (pictured). I don’t have access to power so needed a battery powered option. I bought the Liveryman Harmony Plus. They seemed easy to use.

Attachments

• EAEA844C-FB8A-4214-BE28-31BFDE0C71D0.jpeg
    EAEA844C-FB8A-4214-BE28-31BFDE0C71D0.jpeg
    554.5 KB · Views: 7

HeyMich

Visit site
I'm a relatively novice clipper and I got some Lister Liberties last year for Xmas. I've clipped 4 different horses with them, some multiple times, including some fairly thick feather, and they've been brilliant. Highly recommended.

Shay

Visit site
It does depend on your horse. And your situation. Cordless clippers can often lack the power to get through thick cob hair. Powered clippers are always more powerful and longer lasting. But you need to plug in - also a good quality breaker and an extension cord. But are you looking at a hairy cob you have to clip every 4-6 weeks weeks or a light skinned TB you clip one a year? What are the blade shapening options near you? Do you need something more professional whose blades can last a bit - or is it OK to have something lighter?

If you buy second hand then stick to a really well known - and easily serviceable - make. Perhaps check with whoever it is you would have service your set - what are the obvious pitfalls? You need to think about how many sets of blades, who will service the set, how will you sharpen?

Beth_0480

Visit site
It does depend on your horse. And your situation. Cordless clippers can often lack the power to get through thick cob hair. Powered clippers are always more powerful and longer lasting. But you need to plug in - also a good quality breaker and an extension cord. But are you looking at a hairy cob you have to clip every 4-6 weeks weeks or a light skinned TB you clip one a year? What are the blade shapening options near you? Do you need something more professional whose blades can last a bit - or is it OK to have something lighter?

If you buy second hand then stick to a really well known - and easily serviceable - make. Perhaps check with whoever it is you would have service your set - what are the obvious pitfalls? You need to think about how many sets of blades, who will service the set, how will you sharpen?

thank you! I have two cobs so corded ones are looking to be the best option for me xx