Best Electrolyte replacer?

sandi_84

Visit site
I'm starting a slow and steady fitness program for my boy who is unclipped atm (he isn't working hard atm and he gets cold... the big wimp! ;)) but I'm preparing for him to get a bit sweaty when we start to get into the harder work and I know I need to replace the electrolytes that he looses through sweat and was wondering what is the best product to use?

be positive

Visit site
I think that at this time of year if he gets sweaty with a thick coat it is better to clip, this will enable you to cool him down and get him dry, it will help prevent weight loss also. You do not need to clip much off, just under his tummy up his shoulders and under his neck would keep him more comfy, he should not be cold, I saw that new rug you bought him:D
If you do want to give him some electrolytes, not really required unless doing intensive work, usually competition horses in hot weather may need them, there are many brands available and all are pretty much the same, a mix of salt and glucose really. Make sure he drinks plenty of water and has access to salt lick and a feed each day he should then be fine.

sandi_84

Visit site
He's not sweaty atm as he's not doing anything too taxing and he's just nice temp wise when he's out in the field.
Ha ha he hasn't even had the new rug on yet :( still too cold up here for m/w but thinking it'll soon be time coz it's definately warming up! My YO advised to put of clipping for a while longer as we are only going to be doing really gentle work to start, lots of walk hacks :D. I just want to be prepared, when I have a bit of spare cash I put a bit aside as a slush fund and usually get something that I'll need in the future :D So i'll put a salt lick on my shopping list instead. So would you not bother with an electrolyte replacer for a horse that does moderate work i.e (eventually) working livery on a riding school and a bit of happy hacking/ schoolwork and the occasional bit of jumping?

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
For the work he will be doing he should be fine, save your money for all the other things he will need. In summer just make sure he drinks plenty that is most important for there well being.

be positive

Visit site
Down here in the south west it is so mild, I have just clipped one out and he is only in a medium weight, he got too warm so had to drop down a layer. :D

sandi_84

Visit site
Ah bring on the warmer weather up here! Can't wait till I can go up to the yard without having to wear my wooly gloves at all times so my fingers don't freeze! :rolleyes::D We've only just got past our last flurry of snow! Hopefully that'll be the last of the winter and all we'll have to deal with from now will be wind (lots usually) and rain (even more!) :D

EstherYoung

Visit site
:echo: the others - it's more important that he stays hydrated. If he's getting enough fluid down his neck and he's got enough fibre in his diet, he's unlikely to need E-lytes.

If you do ever need to feed E-lytes, a home made mix of salt and lo-salt (NaCl and KCl) will do fine anyway for 90% of uses. Most of the commercial ones are rubbish and contain a lot of glucose; glucose is just filler and can cause more metabolic problems than it solves.

Kenzo

Visit site
Bob a Hymalayn salt lick in his stable, these seem more tempting than the usual brick salt licks if they don't bother with those, this will encourage your horse to drink more so replacing fluid and salt.