Best equestrian areas in New Zealand?

Pinkatc

Visit site
So possibly relocating in the next 12 months or so for work, options are either Dubai or NZ. Two very different places! What areas in NZ are good for horsey life? I’d need to be based reasonably near one of the larger airports so North and South Islands are an option. I’d be moving my nags over too.

dixie

Visit site
I stayed in Christchurch for a year and it’s very horsey around there.

I’m not sure about North Island but believe around the Cambridge area.

clairebearnz

Visit site
I shifted from the lower North Island down to Canterbury about 7 years ago and Canterbury is wonderful for horse stuff - thriving community, decent places to ride, close to both beach and mountains for riding, and land available at more reasonable prices within driving distance to the city compared to Up North. Lots of Poms around Chch/Canty as well.

I bought a lifestyle block about an hour out of Chch a couple of years ago and haven't looked back.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
We lived just outside Auckland in the Coatesville / Riverhead area. Lovely area, very horsey and fabulous hacking in the Riverhead forest.

There was a lot we loved about NZ but it was just far too far away at that time in our lives. My father was very ill and I couldn’t fly back and forth easily. It is a long trip door to door. I would definitely consider going back when I don’t have family obligations here in the UK.

joosie

Visit site
Horsiest areas on South Island I'd say Canterbury and Otago. It's really horsey down here in Southland too, but you might think it's too far south! Fairly horsey around Nelson also.
On the North Island - around Cambridge for sure, but the Waikato in general is very horsey. There's also an active scene around Auckland (but 1/3 of the population live there so that's no surprise!).

silv

Visit site
North Island would be around Hamilton, Cambridge and surrounding area, Plenty horses around Auckland too.

South Island, Christchurch would be your best bet. Plenty of lifestyle blocks within easy distance of the city.