best excuse from a farrier..

Ibblebibble

Visit site
think mine may have come up with one of the best for being late this morning :rolleyes: At 7.45am i get a txt to tell me he's on his way but aliens had abducted his truck and hidden it!!:D:D
managed to make me smile on a freezing cold morning lol, has to be one of the best excuses yet:D

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Mine texted me to say he was 15 minutes behind, because he couldn't drag his body out of bed!! :eek: I didn't like to ask whose body he had! :D

3~2~1

Visit site
Mine never needs excuses, he's always 20 minutes early (at least) and that's every time he comes, he's usually either having a cuppa or half way through by the time I arrive ;-)

Ibblebibble

Visit site
:D

Atleast it wasn't "I couldn't find the church!" There is only one, and you can see it from miles away...
lol, i've moved yards since he last did the gang so he phoned me for directions, aliens must have stolen his sat nav as well!

Mine texted me to say he was 15 minutes behind, because he couldn't drag his body out of bed!! :eek: I didn't like to ask whose body he had! :D
ooooer lol:eek:

for me it makes a nice change to have a farrier who can hold a conversation and has a sense of humour:)

Rebels

Visit site
Concussion - he was spotted in McDonalds
Truck broke down - spotted in McDonalds drive thro in said truck
Ran out of shoes - !!!!!
Raining - I know its not ideal but we do have cover
Truck has puncture - yep, McDonalds again
Metal in eye - every time I rebook?
Broke hammer - again !!!!!
Concussion again - yep, seemed to shoe alright for my friend though whilst texting me and telling friend he had his next job at xyz, should have been at mine
Truck gearbox broken - passed my vet on motorway whilst I was talking to her via hands free
That is just the tip of the iceberg, the dog ate his diary twice, he drowned his iPad with electronic diary, child broke iPad, I can go on....

dalesslave

Visit site
my friends farrier is renouned for his inability to turn up on time on the right day so a while ago after waiting around for probably the the 3rd or 4th appointment she rang him
"Hello £$% "
farrier "hello there what you upto?"
Friend" Well actually i'm bl66dy well waiting for you"
Farrier "Ah well erm i'm just waiting for the police"
Friend "Oh god what've you done now "
Farrier "erm nothing "
Friend "oh yeah any bl66dy excuse So when are you not going to turn up next time"
Farrier " erm I'l be there soon but i've got to give a statement and finnish this horsei've only got to clench up "
Friend "well Bl66dy hurry up i've been here all morning"
Farrier "erm yep will do its just this horses owner has just dropped down dead on me."
Friend silence ....................

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Yikes, dalesslave! Lots better than one farrier I let go, who just 'forgot' that I was waiting for him from 6am 'promise I'll be there' blah blah whatever!

riding_high

Visit site
my old farrier was always late then one day he rang me and asked if i was sitting down, i said no how late you going to be?
he said well actually i'm at yours now (over an hour early)!!!
i told him i couldn't get there straight away as had the kids so he said he'd take a walk round the field to find the missing shoe and also start on the ponies that needed trimming.
he was so chuffed with himself for being early.

Ladyinred

Visit site
Abducted by aliens? Yeah right lol. Translated it means he can't remember which pub he parked it outside the previous night!

Gwena

Visit site
Mine is always on time. He lives 2 miles from my yard and his fiance is one of my very very good friends. ...he wouldn't dare be late! He is lovely and can hold a good conversation. I'm very lucky.

Charlie Bucket

Visit site
At least yours bother to make up an excuse!
Changed farriers in the end as got tired of waiting 2/3 hours for him to turn up without an apology.

New farrier is always super early and has caught me out a few times!

travelmad

Visit site
Just changed recently as I had a rush of excuses or non- communication - last one I got was "I have food poisoning so I can't come until at least next week". He may have had, but I couldn't believe it :)

Spiritedly

Visit site
My old farrier forgot us twice over various visits, the third time he 'forgot' us I left a message on his phone asking if he'd forgotten us or just not got up....I was his first visit.....felt really bad when I found out he'd been killed the night before :(. The new farrier always texts me the night before reminding me he's coming and is always early.

Dizzy socks

Visit site
My old farrier forgot us twice over various visits, the third time he 'forgot' us I left a message on his phone asking if he'd forgotten us or just not got up....I was his first visit.....felt really bad when I found out he'd been killed the night before :(. The new farrier always texts me the night before reminding me he's coming and is always early.

Wow! poor you! (and him, obviously)

Perissa

Visit site
I stress this is not my current farrier but a few years back. I had a phone call from the farriers MOTHER saying that he was dreadfully ill in bed. Imagine my surprise when I rode (motorbike) my bike past the pub 10 minutes later and there sitting in the garden was my farrier with a pint in his hand.

I really wish I'd stopped but I didn't.

glamourpuss

Visit site
Rebels I hate to say this......your farrier really doesn't want to show your horses for some reason ;)

I've never had a problem with any farrier if mine - I've only ever had to change when I moved area & after consulting with the farrier & agreeing that another shoeing method + farrier would be better for that horse.
I've had the odd occasion they've been late but they usually just call me & tell me they're running late. No need for outlandish excuses I accept that sometimes people run late.
One occasion farrier had forgotten to write me in his diary. He was apologetic & offered to come early next morning instead....fine :)

Mind you my horses are always waiting in with clean, dry legs. They have an undercover area to use. I always take a thermos so I can offer a brew & if I've been baking there is cake. I don't make unreasonable demands/whinge/moan & I pay straight away with cash.

A farrier told me that if you start having problems with your farrier I.e constantly late, not turning up, not answering calls returning texts then it usually means you have hacked them off one time too many & they are hoping you will find yourself another farrier :D

Mind you some of the stuff he's told me clients do I'm not surprised.
- not being able to pay & asking if they can 'leave it to next time'
- horse out in the field, no owner. Expecting farrier to get horse in & shoe it
- texting/calling literally all times of day & night
- not booking in regularly, leaving a set of shoes on for about 10 weeks, waiting until they start falling off then expecting the farrier to come the next day!
- making a pass at them :

showaddy1

Visit site
Glamour puss... I've never done any of those things and my farrier was usually late or let me down. Extremely annoying when you take time off work!
But, I have recently changed farriers.. The old one gave me the excuse that he had left my mares feet so long because of her breeding!! I may be a little gullible at times but please!

LadyRascasse

Visit site
My farrier can occasionally be 10 or 20 mins late but I get a text before he is due telling me that he is and then I take the mick when he turns up ;) I always pay before they arrive (my farrier said he might not both turning up one day as he had already been paid haha) provide tea/coffee and biscuits. Horse always has clean dry feet and undercover area is available should it be required. Never had an issue in 4 years.

NikkiF

Visit site
I'm quite gobsmacked at what some of you put up with!! In over 25 yrs have had 2 farriers who consistently didn't turn up or were very late, gave them a couple of chances and then changed farriers. Can understand that life gets in the way sometimes, but a quick text is just good manners surely!

I know there's good and not so good farriers about, but I still don't see why should get mucked about by them, especially when had to take time off work to be there.

Ha I sound a bit over the top really, but hate being let down by people!!

kerrieberry2

Visit site
my first farrier said he couldn't find the yard, which was a big yard in our village calleds Hodds farm, he never called me to get directions just didn't turn up! so I called him and had to rearrange, then when he found it he said of if you'd have said it was david ramptons places I'd have known where you were! Coz I'm a mind reader?!?!

Rebels

Visit site
Ive changed now due to his messing around, bit of a pain as 2 were referred to him as remedial cases and i was giving him £120 per set cash for those 2... He asked to take the other 9 on for normal price to make it worth his while coming out, always in, dry, under cover, copious quantities of food and drink provided. Sadly lived up to his reputation as an unreliable genius!