Best feed for weanling??

lennysmith

Visit site
As we've decided to move yards (yay) it has now prompted me to think positively about the future. In which, Denver will be weaned. But what is the best food to give him? At the moment he has a handful (tiny) of hi fi lite with vit and min supplement. He sticks to his bowl only, but his mum is on pretty much the same anyway.

He's a HUGE boy, really covered, can feel his ribs but def cant see them. He's growing at a rate of knots and obviously dont want to over feed him and risk problems in the future.

So what do you think would be the best thing to be giving him? Thanks xxx

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
baileys stud balancer is very good for good doing weanlings, we use youngstock pellets as ours are Tb's and they do well on this, but they would probably be too much for denver if he is a big boy,

Marilyn

Visit site
we just feed our youngster alfa a and a feed supplement. We tried him on a foal/stud mix but he got fat on hardly anything (literally about 1/4 of the reccommended amount a day!) after this, we went back to the way we normally feed our horses (fibre wherever possible) and he looks great. I would say that it's very important to get a balancer/general purpose supplement though as they do need various vits and mins to grow.

severnmiles

Visit site
I've had great results from Dodson and Horrel yearling cubes, which are for weanlings - 3y.o. And also D&H Rearing diet is a LOVELY mix! I'm a real convert to D&H!

When are you weaning?

lennysmith

Visit site
Thanks guys. Shall look inot those.

Severnmiles. Not totally sure when we are weaning. They hardley spend anytime together anymore. Was thinking of getting him cut first but this will all have to be sorted when we've moved. So at this rate he wont be weaned til about December!!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Mine all go onto Blue Chip whatever they are, it really does seem to help them over this even though they only have a mug a day,(Bailey's Stud Balancer does the same but you feed more of it so it works out about the same price) then depending whether they are TB or not, they'll either be on Bailey's Stud Mix (TB) or the Economy Mix along with the BC and that's all, no chaff of any description, most of mine have the same thoughts about it as I do! About Christmas time I will start adding sugar beet but their stomachs are not fully matured to cope with it until they are about 8 months old. They all have as much hay as they need, I'll never let the rack be empty and they are turned out all day every day unless it is horrendous.

Have you started his jabs yet Lenny? I always want the second jab done before weaning so that they are well covered and another thing less to be worrying about!

lennysmith

Visit site
Yep jabs all done second one was done 2 weeks ago. I rmemebered you saying about them before so made sure I started early. Also knowing we were going to be moving wanted to make sure he was covered. Cheers Pat xxx

_jetset_

Visit site
A friend of mine fed her filly on alfa a and dengie complement, which was basically what her Mum had been having... she trickly fed her from her mum's for a while then at 5 months she got her own little feed. You could tell she felt very grown up!

Someone else I know feeds Buckeye Grow and Win, but I have no idea what that is to be honest!

I can't believe it is nearly weaning time for Denver... the time has flown by!

lennysmith

Visit site
I know! He's just started to have his very OWN bucket with the smallest amount of feed imaginable in! He is soooo pleased with himself! He stands with his bum so high in the air trying to scare his mum off from sharing some. What a big man!!