Best feed or supplement for oomph

DressageCob

Visit site
Hi all,

My black cob’s performance drops in summer due to weather-related lethargy 😄 he’s on electrolytes after heavy work, but I’m thinking of another supplement or food as a pick me up.

He presently is on a light balancer (because that’s what my fatty cob has) and a general mix (the latter because that’s what the yard is on).

I’ve previously used Top Spec Turbo with my little cob which helped with his energy when eventing (and our slow XC rounds are also a thing I’m hoping could be helped with the right feed, in conjunction with stamina and speed exercises and hacking).

I also previously used NAF EnerG with the little cob which didn’t make much of a difference, and Cavalor Kick Up which was great.

He’s not overly prone to obesity and typically works 5 days a week, a mixture of hacking, flat schooling and jumping (normally once per week, maximum twice).

Any other ideas and suggestions?

Thanks!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Topspec turbo works for us, I just give it on her working days. is there a reason you're looking for an alternative? I fed straight oats before but found too many passing through still in their husks, whereas the turbo seems to be more digestible and i notice the difference if she doesn't have it. I wouldn't go for something like the EnerG as I think that's really high in iron? so wouldn't really be suitable unless you knew him to be lacking via blood tests etc.

Fitness and training plays a part obviously but if you want them to learn how to sharpen up, the non-blood types do benefit from a bit of high energy feed IMO!

ETA other things I looked into were things like maize and peas which I have known other horses go a bit whizzy on, but the turbo is easier for me to get and I know mine is fine with oats.

AFB

Visit site
Allan & Page Power & Performance for me. Must remember to take him off it before the spring sillies next year though :D

Sprat

Visit site
I have the same problem with my mare in the summer months, this summer seems to be the worst so far. I think it's the humidity that kills her off.

I've just started feeding rolled oats, not much of a difference so far but it is early days. I'll be following with interest, I may try out the topspec turbo.

Milliepops, do you feed the topspec turbo daily or prior to work?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I give it in her normal morning/evening feeds on the days she is working. If she's just hacking or having a day off I don't give it :)

Sprat

Visit site
I give it in her normal morning/evening feeds on the days she is working. If she's just hacking or having a day off I don't give it :)

Great stuff thanks. I had it in my head that it needed to be fed an hour prior to work, which isn't always feasible

DressageCob

Visit site
Thanks!

There’s no reason why I wouldn’t just go for the TopSpec Turbo. It’s just I fed it about 5 years ago and thought there might be other things out there. Or I was just dithering 😄

I fed the turbo before with little cob because he backed off in big arenas and needed more pizzazz when we were doing dressage loads. Having him super energetic made it easier to keep him interested and flashy.
It’s a slightly different thing with the big lad, but it sounds like others feed TopSpec Turbo for that issue too, so I think I’ll just go for that 😄

Thanks!

bubsqueaks

Visit site
We're using Equimins Performance Booster for BE as you just add day before & day of event - seems to give her more energy
We also use Equimins Complete Concentrate plus electrolytes to make sure everything is as it should be.