Best fertiliser/management ideas for overgrazed land

MissTyc

Visit site
We have a section of about 15 acres of hillside grazing that hasn't fully recovered for a few years now. It's overgrazed and stressed. Last two years it's had a seaweed based fertiliser to help balance things out and has also been overseeded. It's not grazed from about October to April/May and yet it's not growing back properly any more, worse now after the long dry period. Used to be glorious with wildflowers, etc ... I can't help the overgrazing. I'm not happy with it, but it's up to the farmer. However, I was hoping to "help" the land along over this next season so it might have more chance of recovering for next year. There's no weeds/Ragwort on it, it's just very barren now.

All suggestions welcome! We have all required equipment, harrows, sprayer, seeder ... Lots of fattie ponies so they must be getting something off the land, but the stressed grass isn't good for them either. We've always avoided fertilisers because of the lami risk, but there must be recommended products for our situation available?

jnb

Visit site
I have used Suregrow - horses can stay on the land while it's on although I do usually fence mine away until the next downpour of rain washes it in.
I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will come along though :)

Polos Mum

Visit site
You can send away soil samples for about £25-40 and they send you a kit and instructions on collection and then report with suggestions. I would imagine an actual person on site would be quite ££'s and honestly what they'll say is don't over graze it !! If that's out of your control then it's tough.

Muck spread is gentle and reasonably horse friendly fertiliser while also being not too expensive.

The weather this year is madness - sadly I think we'll have to get used to these wet and dry extremes at odd times of the year and reduce stocking density to accommodate climate change.