Best fibre cubes/mix for treatball

Puppy

Visit site
My boy is very pleased with his new treatball (I think I now owe our mare next door some earplugs :rolleyes:) which I have been using this week with some cheap fibre cubes (he didn't like the expensive Simple systems grass nuts enough to play with it for them) but if I'm going to use it long term I'd prefer to use some better quality feed.

Which products would people recommend? Needless to say I want low starch, low sugar etc and must be alfalfa free and palatable as he's not a big eater and came out in hives when I fed him Alfa A.

Thanks in advance :)

BlairandAzria

Visit site
I use Dodson and horrell high fibre cubes, occasionally I'll chop up a carrot if I've got one at home going spare. I always mix it with lots of chaff to slow him down though!

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I just use plain alfalfa /grass nuts normally :) I did use cool condition cube by topspec when my mare needed condition :)

My gelding gets one cupful twice a day in his ball every day as in at the minute due to being ill, keeps him entertained :D

Puppy

Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at a few Bailey's products in the shop but was rather put off that none of the bags, or the brochure, stated any starch levels :confused: Perhaps I shall email them.

In the mean time I have bought a bag of spillers high fibre cubes which I am mixing those with a scoop of his usual chaff, and he is very keen for his ball every evening. As I say, the poor girl next door must be rather fed up with the racket he makes :rolleyes:

Nicnac

Visit site
I use the cheapest Horse & Pony nuts which my 2 love (one ex-racer who is fussy; and another ISH who is stomach on legs)

icestationzebra

Visit site
I'm sure when the Baileys nuggets were branded as Badminton Horse Feeds the starch content was on the bag.... :confused: this is from the website:

Digestible Energy 8.5MJ/kg
Protein 7.0%
Fibre 22.0%
Oil 2.5%
Ash 6.0%

And it states 'low starch' but doesn't actually say how much. I'm pretty sure it is really low as I would have checked before feeding, but I've been using them for years...

Venevidivici

Visit site
Does anyone know if the spillers hi fibre cubes (and the Baileys for that matter!) have alfalfa in them at all? It seems to be compressed into everything these days.... :(

warmbloodcrazy

Visit site
I have used barley rings or nuggets for my boy in his ball, i sometimes find the nuts come out too quickly. I cut up some carrots and put them in sometimes aswell :)