Best First Time Horse?

Str0ppyMare

Visit site
Can anyone recommend a breed? Im looking for my first horse, want something that has good thickish legs for weight carrying.

Im in northern ireland, can anyone suggest a good site that is selling ones over here, there are only 2 in H&H

CastleMouse

Visit site
Try www.irishhorsetrader.com and www.horseplay.ie
Hope this helps
smile.gif

Str0ppyMare

Visit site
I tried them, but very few here in northern ireland, im on the north west coast, so even tried to see ones in donegal.

How far would you travel for a horse?

CastleMouse

Visit site
It depends, if it sounds like the horse for you, I'd travel up to 3 hours, possibly more if it was really amazing! If it does sound like the horse for you, ask the seller to e-mail you as many videos and photos, to see if it really is worth making that journey
smile.gif

Str0ppyMare

Visit site
Thanks, its just that I wasnt sure how far you can take a horse in a horse box!!!

Is there any law about bringing a horse from southern ireland into northern ireland???

CastleMouse

Visit site
Well ask the owner if the horse is comfortable travelling that distance, not sure if there's any law regarding bringing horses from southern ireland into northern ireland.
confused.gif
Make sure the horse has a passport though!

rrose

Visit site
if you do buy a horse and there is a long travel down, stop every 30 - 45 mins so the horse can stretch its legs. good luck i hope you find the horse for you

MillionDollar

Visit site
My first horse was Flo- TB x Clydesdale (though i think shes more Clydesdale, lol). But she was (i was 12 when i got her) and is fantastic, completely bombproof, but forward going and can jump the biggest jumps. I've now got a WB- completely different! Good luck in your search IMO you want a cob, or ID type!
grin.gif

This is Flo btw
LWF0006.jpg

Skhosu

Visit site
ok.... just a quick question... are you going to be travelling the horse?
How much experience do you have?
Because you don't sound awfully experienced.
As for travelling, I have travelled ponies to england several times without hitch.
Indeed, one went for 24hrs thanks to a bad trasporter and came back no problems.
And no..don't stop ever 30-45 mins. It just unsettles them. If you are travelling for more than 4-8hrs I might consider it, but very difficult to find a place to stop. Most competitiion horses cope well and travel 24hrs+