Best fly rug for belly protection & suggestions for protecting teats please

zola89

Visit site
My mare’s belly and teats are absolutely covered in and being eaten by tiny flies. She has a Rambo fly rug which I love but don’t think the belly flap offers the best protection. Can anybody recommend anything else?
Also her teats and the surrounding skin are bitten and inflamed. What do people suggest for this? I’ve just put on a green oils gel for now as it’s petroleum jelly based so doesn’t wipe off too easily!?
Thanks

ponyparty

Visit site
Neem oil on the teats.

Careful with neem oil especially somewhere so sensitive, I used it with no problems on my boy one summer, so didn't patch test the following summer before plastering his tail head/butt in it and it blistered his skin! :'(

Camrosa ointment is very good, forms a barrier against small biting insects and is soothing and healing for the skin. Well tolerated even by my super sensitive, delicate little flower of a horse! It's quite sticky, but for that area would be fine as no tack etc needs to go anywhere near it.

TGM

Visit site
EqWax fly repellent is really good for sensitive areas like teats. It is a soft wax you brush or sponge on, but not messy and doesn't stain like some of the traditional fly creams.