Best fun on horseback ever!

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
After my recent posts dithering about going, yesterday I did my second team chase at the Atherstone, having done the Warks two weeks before.

It is most definitely the best fun you can have on horseback, or at least it's the best fun I've had on horseback! I thought I'd enjoyed eventing all season but the buzz from TC has beaten it by a mile - I still haven't come back down! Have never done it before and neither has horse. First time we were asked to be lead horse as the others had green horses/ were nervous, and yesterday I asked to be lead as horse was happy in that position. I can't describe how much fun I had! The Warks was a great course- lots of big hedges, bigger than I expected but so inviting and rode well. I didn't think the Atherstone was a nice course at all. Quite twisty, didn't flow well, lots of tight turns, ditches, big drops. Needn't have worried, horse flew around and bar being a bit sticky at a hedge with an open ditch in front towards the end (just had a look at the last second but went when I said go), loved every second.

Now my horse thinks he's the cleverest thing ever. He is usually pretty well mannered to ride and is always good in XC warm up. Yesterday however, I asked for canter, he took off bucking and bronking (he has never bucked in the 2.5 years I've owned him LOL!), then spent the remainder of the time squeaking and squealing. I decided to take him TC to give him a little reward after working hard all year for me, and he's definitely loved it. Just hoping I can now manage to get out once more before I lose my towing car (new job, different company car) and he goes on his hols for a couple of months.

TeamChaser

Visit site
Just logged in to see if anyone had posted with updates! Well done you, leading at only your 2nd TC - I'd never remember the course, particularly round the Atherstone!

We did the intermediate which was huge and more than a little terrifying! Hedges were head height and sooo wide, often with a big ditch in front. Biggest course we've attempted so chuffed to have had good round and come home safe. Biggest grin on my face over the finish and exhausted today after the adrenalin high of yesterday!

Hoping for some rain before the Bicester, my boy didn't really enjoy ground yesterday despite the really good grass cover so if we have another 2 wks with no rain we may not be going :-(

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
We led at the first one, the Warks, too as no one else would! I was absolutely terrified but the course rode so well. I just about remembered the Atherstone though nearly forgot where I was going when heading back towards the Sec's tent. That line of hedges there (where you did a sort of serpentine in and out) was horrible, esp the last drop. It looked pretty innocuous on take off side as was only about 2ft6 but the landing was higher than my shoulders. I've bought the pro pic of that as it was bl00dy enormous!!

The Inter really was big, well done for getting round! We stayed after the Nov to watch the Open... just OMG. Insane, but incredible to watch!

And yes I know what you mean about being exhausted today - I struggled to wake up even after a really early night! I've never experienced a buzz like I've had from TC! I prob won't get out again this year as am starting a new job in a few weeks - I feel I ought to give the dangerous sports a rest for a while now, just in case, so I can start my job without any trouble! But I will head over to a few events to support so might see you at one! Fingers crossed for some rain, it was hard yday. And slippery. Was glad of my studs!!

TeamChaser

Visit site
This is the thing with team chasing, highly addictive but not without it's risks! Can be hard to explain to an employer you can't come to work having come to grief throwing yourself over 5ft hedges at speed!! My employer seems to have come to terms with my horse related injuries - not many of them through team chasing to be fair ... I've clearly got good at bouncing!

Novice pretty big at Atherstone, the commentator mentioned there had been number of falls. Mind you, fair few in the inter too. Tough course and as you say conditions underfoot not really 100% ideal yesterday

Good luck with your new job and hope you get out team chasing again soon - just no going back once you've tried it!

Gamebird

Visit site
Pleased to hear you got on well. That second last was a fair question for the novices. Even my experienced Inter horse had a peek.

I led our Inter team with my horse - was thrilled with him as he hasn't even been XC schooling since the end of last season and some of those hedges were pretty decent, especially if you angled them like we did. Put my foot right down and we absolutely flew round... until I somehow managed to get unshipped somewhere between the last fence and the finish. Doh. There are probably some comedy photos somewhere! Next outing may be our first open so I shall have to purchase some superglue first!

anna22

Visit site
God every time I read a TC post it makes me want to go even more!!! I'm hoping the little TB mare I've got the ride on will be keen on something like that... she's very bold and forward. POST THE PRO PIC CC :)

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
This is the thing with team chasing, highly addictive but not without it's risks! Can be hard to explain to an employer you can't come to work having come to grief throwing yourself over 5ft hedges at speed!! My employer seems to have come to terms with my horse related injuries - not many of them through team chasing to be fair ... I've clearly got good at bouncing!

Novice pretty big at Atherstone, the commentator mentioned there had been number of falls. Mind you, fair few in the inter too. Tough course and as you say conditions underfoot not really 100% ideal yesterday

Good luck with your new job and hope you get out team chasing again soon - just no going back once you've tried it!

Definitely highly addictive, for horse and rider I think! I didn't think anything would top eventing for me but TC has for sure.

Yes, there were a few falls. I saw a couple when walking the course - mostly at the serpentine of hedges near the secretary's tent. Seemed to be mainly those who came too fast into the first hedge and were sitting too far forwards, so if their horses pecked a bit on landing, they were straight off the front. That line of hedges made me nervous but it rode better than I expected.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Pleased to hear you got on well. That second last was a fair question for the novices. Even my experienced Inter horse had a peek.

I led our Inter team with my horse - was thrilled with him as he hasn't even been XC schooling since the end of last season and some of those hedges were pretty decent, especially if you angled them like we did. Put my foot right down and we absolutely flew round... until I somehow managed to get unshipped somewhere between the last fence and the finish. Doh. There are probably some comedy photos somewhere! Next outing may be our first open so I shall have to purchase some superglue first!

I did think the Inter was big but I'd love to have a go at one! That's my aim, though whether we'll ever get there is a different story! You must post the photos! Hope you're not too sore!

I can't decide if I think you're brave or mental for wanting to do an Open! ;)

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
God every time I read a TC post it makes me want to go even more!!! I'm hoping the little TB mare I've got the ride on will be keen on something like that... she's very bold and forward. POST THE PRO PIC CC :)

Anna, it's the best thing I have ever done! Incredible buzz, you must do it if you get the chance! :D Sounds like the mare will be perfect.

Couple of pro pics as requested... this looked quite small on take off but was quite a big drop. All I was thinking on the way in was "SIT UP SIT BACK" as I have a terrible habit of creeping forwards on the last few strides.

http://www.colbeckphotography.com/g...ice+Team+Chase/Camera+2/ATC14+0222.jpg&page=1

http://www.colbeckphotography.com/g...ice+Team+Chase/Camera+2/ATC14+0223.jpg&page=1

I love this one as pony looks like he's just smiling his head off!

http://www.colbeckphotography.com/g...ice+Team+Chase/Camera+1/ATC14+0456.jpg&page=0

Gamebird

Visit site
I did think the Inter was big but I'd love to have a go at one! That's my aim, though whether we'll ever get there is a different story! You must post the photos! Hope you're not too sore!

I can't decide if I think you're brave or mental for wanting to do an Open! ;)

I didn't say I wanted to do it ;)

On looking at your pics it would appear that I will be doing opens for the team you ride for. :)

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I didn't say I wanted to do it ;)

On looking at your pics it would appear that I will be doing opens for the team you ride for. :)

LOL isn't it funny the people you find on the internet! ;) Do you normally ride for that team? Have probably met you at some point if so! Otherwise I know they were talking about putting together an open team and I will come to watch a few once I've lost my transport so might meet you then :)

Gamebird

Visit site
I normally ride for a different team, but picked up a couple of spare rides for yours last season and for some reason I came to mind when they decided to get an open team up. I must have that 'nutter' look about me...

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
They're doing an Open at the Bicester aren't they? Am still in two minds about whether to do one last Novice there before I have to give up my towing car but not sure I can be bothered to drag us both all the way there and have the risk of breaking myself so being unable to start new job a couple of weeks later... I will prob go down and watch though if they do enter an Open team.

anna22

Visit site
Anna, it's the best thing I have ever done! Incredible buzz, you must do it if you get the chance! :D Sounds like the mare will be perfect.

Couple of pro pics as requested... this looked quite small on take off but was quite a big drop. All I was thinking on the way in was "SIT UP SIT BACK" as I have a terrible habit of creeping forwards on the last few strides.

http://www.colbeckphotography.com/g...ice+Team+Chase/Camera+2/ATC14+0222.jpg&page=1

http://www.colbeckphotography.com/g...ice+Team+Chase/Camera+2/ATC14+0223.jpg&page=1

I love this one as pony looks like he's just smiling his head off!

http://www.colbeckphotography.com/g...ice+Team+Chase/Camera+1/ATC14+0456.jpg&page=0

They're great! I am determined to have a go at one of the Spring fixtures... give me time to get either my boy or the little mare fit enough to get round one :)