Best hoof supplement?

Connemara24

Visit site
My horse has really bad hooves, they crack crumble, and she has had laminitis so that doesn't help. I apply silverfeet natural hoof balm every day, everywhere.
She is on a allround supplement that does, joints, respiratory, hooves, vit and mins and digestive.
But it just doesn't seem to do the job with her hooves. So suggestions for a hoof supplement that does something please?
Thanks

Highmileagecob

Visit site
If you can get some gentle pressure on the frogs, either through boots and pads, or even pads taped to the sole of the hoof, that will increase stimulation of the frog, which in turn will increase blood flow, and encourage the back of the foot to fill out and build up a heel as it should. Any general supplement will support hoof health, but unless the frog is working, the hoof does not appear to fully repair itself.
Have you checked for Cushings? Is there any thrush at all that could be causing pain and preventing proper loading of the foot? Is the cracking and crumbling due to overgrowth of the hoof wall? Is the frog full and healthy or narrow and not weight bearing?
Best of luck - really hope you have a set of good hooves to report in three or four months time.

Connemara24

Visit site
Thank
If you can get some gentle pressure on the frogs, either through boots and pads, or even pads taped to the sole of the hoof, that will increase stimulation of the frog, which in turn will increase blood flow, and encourage the back of the foot to fill out and build up a heel as it should. Any general supplement will support hoof health, but unless the frog is working, the hoof does not appear to fully repair itself.
Have you checked for Cushings? Is there any thrush at all that could be causing pain and preventing proper loading of the foot? Is the cracking and crumbling due to overgrowth of the hoof wall? Is the frog full and healthy or narrow and not weight bearing?
Best of luck - really hope you have a set of good hooves to report in three or four months time.

Thank you that's really helpful.

OlderNotWiser

Visit site
My daughter’s horse had keratoma surgery last October and had a large section of his hoof wall removed. Our farrier recommended Better4hooves, a tub lasts 3 months and Finn’s hoof grew back really well.

Connemara24

Visit site

She did have thrush but its seems to have gone, with applying hoof oil. I haven't tested for cushings but planning to in the near future. The frog is quite thin and narrow.

Connemara24

Visit site
For a supplement Progressive earth Pro Hoof is really good.
If she has always been really bad has she been tested for HWSS if she is a Connie.
She is a Connemara, I look after her I don't own her so not sure if she has been tested I very much doubt it. She is quite old 25yrs.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
She is a Connemara, I look after her I don't own her so not sure if she has been tested I very much doubt it. She is quite old 25yrs.
If she is 25 and hasn't had a Cushing's test it would be worthwhile. If she isn't yours though you would need to sort out medication costs if she needs Prascend.

Connemara24

Visit site
If she is 25 and hasn't had a Cushing's test it would be worthwhile. If she isn't yours though you would need to sort out medication costs if she needs Prascend.

Yes the owner had a pony before on prascend and they payed for it then so hopefully if needs be they will again. Thank you for your reply

Roxylola

Visit site
Another vote for progressive earth, my sporty spotty had poor feet. His owner improved them somewhat with farriers formula but I tried him on progressive earth and my farrier has said they feel better on that

AlpacaTeddySJ

Visit site
I did a lot of research and decided on ForagePlus Hoof and Skin (summer), seems to be a good difference to mine especially alongside thrush treatment! Horses coat is looking beautiful and good new horn growth!

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Hoof oil is not known as a treatment for anything, thrush included, I'd stop using it immediately, it won't be helping horn quality sadly, amd use maybe something from Red Horse to treat the thrush as necessary. Is the sugar content of the diet low enough as obviously its a no no for laminitis but is also a big cause of thrush?

Reactions: TPO

Connemara24

Visit site
Hoof oil is not known as a treatment for anything, thrush included, I'd stop using it immediately, it won't be helping horn quality sadly, amd use maybe something from Red Horse to treat the thrush as necessary. Is the sugar content of the diet low enough as obviously its a no no for laminitis but is also a big cause of thrush?

Okay thanks. Her sugar and starch content is low yes. This is what she is fed:
Blue chip senior balancer 100gs daily, half a scoop of soaked speedi beet, dengie hifi molasses free 2 scoops a day. Shes out on a track system at night which has quite long grass for about 12hrs. Also she gets no treats except chaff which I give as a reward and maybe the odd carrot.

Connemara24

Visit site
Not right now as moved them off my phone onto cloud as have rubbish storage on my phone! I'll get some tomorrow thank you.