best joint supplement and ones that haven't worked for you

IncaCola

Visit site
I know it must have been done countless times and searches have bought up a number of names such as equimins flexi joint, suppleaze gold, maxaflex, kentucky joint supplement, cortaflex, premier flex, blue chip dynamic, feedmark extra flex etc etc. I am looking to start using a reasonably priced one and would be really interested in actual testimonials of which ones have worked for people and also ones that you have tried and haven't worked which probably tells just as much. Thanks

Vodkagirly

Visit site
I'm using premier flex, after about 6 weeks I got a far more energetic horse (normally very lazy) and much bigger hind leg action. No conclusive proof that its due to this but I'm happy and carrying on at a scoop a day level.
Also started on a scoop a day Tumeric however due to unexpected circumstances only fed for 3 weeks then have had a weeks break till I can get it again - nothing to report on it yet.

aimsymc

Visit site
have only used 2 both on my old girl whos no longer with us. superflex she wouldnt eat and she wasnt fussy. cortaflex didnt really notice much difference tbh. Havent heard about tumeric used for horses until very recently but always interesting to hear peoples experiences.

IncaCola

Visit site
Really interesting thread Rhino but it has only given me more options! I can't help feeling a little cynical with all the internet companies out there providing an analysis of ingredients they don't actually have to prove so may not actually contain what they say, in which case unbiased testimonials is only way to go. I did use cortaflex years ago and didn't notice any difference in a competition horse, but I was using it as prevention rather than cure. Anyone else got recommendations or ones that haven't worked.?

BentleyBelly

Visit site
I've just posted the same answer to someone else in Veterinary. I use Cortaflex HA (the liquid one) and have definately noticed a difference fed alongside half a danilon a day. I have an arthritic pony who last year was stiff and lame but on this regime is comfortable enough to hack out. I tried PremierFlex to save a few pounds as Cortaflex is a bit pricey but he definately went downhill on it.

Moopoo

New User
Visit site
I use Feedmark Extraflex HA - I found it was the cheapest that contained the 3 key ingredients my vet recommended (MSM, glucosamine and chondroitin - not sure how spelt!). I feed less than the recommended dose and it works for my horse :)

starryeyed

Visit site
Swear by Cortaflex! One of ours used to be very stiff, took forever to warm up etc and was very slow and creaky on rides (despite only being 15 - had a hard life before he got to us).
We tried him on the standard cortaflex and noticed a little difference, but nothing massive - went to your horse live & asked advice and they recommended the Cortaflex HA which we hadn't heard of before.
Put him on that and he was honestly like a different horse! Incredible stuff, he was bombing round the field, is a lot more flexible and doesn't creak like he used to, moves a lot more smoothly. Seems a lot, lot happier on it, both the vet and the farrier asked what had changed when they saw him on their routine visits as they were so surprised by the difference in his movement. It does cost more than the standard one but it's a lot stronger and has worked wonders for him. We use the standard one for maintenance when he's not doing much, and up it to HA when he's more active to try and save money.
I think it's like with a lot of supplements though, some work brilliantly for some horses and not for others, it's all about trial and error. I'm amazed by it but I know people who have used it and not seen a difference in their horses.
I've heard good things about NAF Superflex too but not used it myself.

Bertie_Boo

Visit site
My boy turned 18 last year and was starting to get a bit 'snatchy' with his back legs when I was picking his feet out. He was already getting cider vinegar as that is good for joints but I decided to start using turmeric aswell after seeing it mentioned on the IHDG (it's a natural anti-inflammatory). He's been on it for a few months now and he is no longer 'snatchy' with his legs so it appears to be working.

marmalade76

Visit site
I'm also feeding pure MSM and rosehips - much cheaper than the mixed sups. Unable to say whether they work or not.

ETA also feed linseed which some say is also good for joints.

hessy12

Visit site
On my 18 y o hunter, Equimins flexi joint has worked absolute wonders. He's off bute, sound, fit, hunting again and considering he has arthritis (in various places) both me and my vet are amazed. I've not tired any others, but I firmly believe you get what you pay for. Cheaper ones will not have the same amount of active ingredients as this one, i've been told and looked into it to confirm it has very high levels of the good things in it (cannot spell them!).
Just my experience.

Visit site
Always worth rediscussing because so many products and ideas. I have been giving my mare (with bone spavin of lower hock joint) Premierflex Plus from equineanswers for a year now and she was definitely more comfortable after a couple of months on it. I used it because of the devil's claw content, and because it had other ingredients.

I too did a comparison, spent ages finding products; this one seemed most complete and good value for money. I guess I'll carry on with Premierflex Plus, why change what seems to be working.

But it doesn't seem to be proven that glucosamine really does anything... any thoughts? I just wonder why I'm giving it, if it is the DC that is the anti-inflammatory and pain relief.

Last edited: