Best lightweight rain coat for the rider!!

BOWS28

Visit site
Returning from my holiday to this awful weather has pushed me to purchase a new coat! Wanting one fairly light weight as it's not overly cold but must be waterproof!!
Any ideas that won't break the bank would be much appreciated! :)
(Note we spend £100's on our horses rugs but £50 on a coat for myself is slightly eye watering :D)

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I have a Musto jacket and although it has a thin fleece lining it is very waterproof. I got it from Hope Valley in their clearance section. They have all different styles with or without linings at very reasonable prices.

Widgeon

Visit site
Returning from my holiday to this awful weather has pushed me to purchase a new coat! Wanting one fairly light weight as it's not overly cold but must be waterproof!!
Any ideas that won't break the bank would be much appreciated! :)
(Note we spend £100's on our horses rugs but £50 on a coat for myself is slightly eye watering :D)

Honestly if you really want both lightweight and properly waterproof you're going to have to pay a decent price for it. However if you are willing to compromise slightly on things like breathability then Regatta are actually pretty decent, or your could find a second hand Berghaus and re-proof it. My riding waterproof is a secondhand Berghaus off eBay, is cost about £20 and does absolutely fine. I have a lovely lightweight and full waterproof Mountain Equipment jacket for hill walking but there is no WAY I'm wearing that at the yard!

Edited to add, I don't buy "horsey" brands for things like waterproofs because I resent the associated price hikes.

BOWS28

Visit site
Honestly, i can't believe the difference in price for a 'horsey' coat and just a bog standard waterproof... You just pay for a poxy label!!! All i want is to stay dry lol i couldn't care less whether i have a horsey brand logo slapped on my back :p

hattie2525

Visit site
Another vote for digging round Tkmaxx, I bought an amazing Merrrell coat about 10 years ago for £20 that is still going strong and has never leaked even when out teaching for 6 hours straight. I don't recommend the 'No Fear' snowboarding brand they stock as they are a bit rubbish but there is always a bargain to be had.

You can often pick up the basic North Face jackets in sales and they are also very reliable and come up quite long (Im 5'8) so you don't get a wet bum!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
eBay has a Noble Outfitters cheval waterproof jacket for £49.99 free postage. I’ve had my eye on it for ages but after days like today I’m really tempted! My light weight jackets were good (musto) but years old and very leaky now.

Boulty

Visit site
Depends on what you class as lightweight & how good the horse is with flappy things... I have a poncho style riding cape from Decathlon that is very lightweight, folds away & covers just about all of you when you're sat on a horse (& covers your knees nicely if you're sat in the cold & wet judging somewhere / a bit further down if you're just stood). It also had a hood that is big enough to fit over a riding hat if you were to want to. It's a bit hairy to wear on a horse that's not 100% sure about flappy things in high wind though!

My favourite thing for when it's bucketing it down shall forever be my wax jacket though. It's a bit heavier & has no hood but the extra weight means it doesn't flap. It's not quite as good as the cape at covering your legs but you could literally chuck buckets of water at it & it's still waterproof. I bought mine cheapish at Bramham a few years ago when it was tipping it down & I didn't have a coat!

BOWS28

Visit site
I have a long padded coat that is super warm and waterproof just too warm for this sort of damp muggy weather... i have found a really nice mountain horse coat for sale on facebook, woman said it is abit snug for her at a size 14 and is selling it for £35 and it has only been worn 3 or 4 times. ... it's red which i'm not sure i'm overly keen on but for that money (It retails at about £80) i'm happy to compromise on colour as the horses won't judge me! I did pop into Aldi but no luck unfortunately and the closest TKMaxx is over an hour away from me :confused: But i'm going to try the coat on this evening and hopefully will be nice and dry for the remainder of this soggy week!!!
Thanks all for the suggestions :)