Best make of rugs for Fell ponies

BlackRider

Visit site
Which makes of rugs are best suited to chunky fell ponies?

I bought some DH ones, but they're too deep and the poor chap looks a bit like he's wearing a dress..

I've got an amigo which is a better fit - but I don't think their quality is a good as it used to be.

PS He's just been clipped.

TGM

Visit site
The ones from Maxima Equestrian might suit, they are not too deep and they have specially adjustable front fastenings so easy to get a good fit round the chest and neck. Plus their turnouts are all 1200 denier so very durable and waterproof, but more affordable than some of the better known brands.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Mine is in PE and Weatherbeeta, the latter is the full neck comfitec and it did last winter- she came out with her full long mane still intact :) She's a full up 13.2+ and a mature 4 legs at each corner old fashioned (as thought of now) type but is very true to type :)

Last edited:

JJS

Visit site
I don't have a Fell, but I do have a Gypsy Cob who is a pretty similar shape to the Fell gelding belonging to my friend. Shires are best on her, and I imagine they would fit the one I know equally as well as they fit my mare.

catkin

Visit site
My Fell has a Shires 'highland' rug (fits better than the tempest as it has shoulder gussets)
The other rug that fits him is a Equidor. He's a hot tough pony though so doesn't wear them much

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I've only bought a rainsheet for mine to keep him dry occasionally but its a Weatherbeeta comfitec and fits well (they are also doing a wide neck version apparently), he's very wide across the chest. little wide Exmoor also in Weatherbeeta-just dont get the Generos as they're not wide enough IME, he has an extender strap on the top buckle of his freestyle.

JJS

Visit site
But to be fair, the OP wants recco for rugs for a Fell pony, not a cob :p
(None of my late cobs rugs fit a Fell as they are too roomy! )

Gypsy Cobs do historically have primarily Dales and Fells in their breeding though, so lots of them are not all that dissimilar in terms of their shape.

BlackRider

Visit site

Should also have said I don't want one with a neck (his is rather large and I don't want his mane rubbing either).

BlackRider

Visit site
I spent a (happy!) morning measuring rug depths, and also went to my local saddlery and measured some of the rugs they had on display (which coincidentally where the right size) based on some of the suggestions, I also emailed a couple of rug manufacturers asking about the depth (horse ware didn't bother to reply).

Thanks TGM for the maxima recommendation they did reply and their rug is a good 6 inches shorted than the DH ones I'd got.

The next shortest where the amigo mios but I've had their LW and MW stable rugs before and they rip really easily (which is a shame as their heavyweight stable rug looked more substantial).

Went with maxima in the end, they arrived yesterday and (touch wood) seemed like a really good fit :).

BlackRider

Visit site
with pic - incase anyone is interested :)

j1Jymlz.jpg