Best numnah to stop sweating?

daydreamer

Visit site
hi,

my horse has been really sweaty this year under his saddle and I wondered what numnahs people use in the summer to help keep their horses cool? I know some of you seem to be numnah fanatics!

I currently just have on a normal cotton lightly padded one. I do have a nuumed half-wool one but haven't been using that as I figured it would be too hot. I have a 17" GP saddle so nothing unusual although a high-wither numnah would be best.

Ta

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Have you tried sheepskin?

It doesn't completely solve the problem but it'll be a slight improvement.

Cowpony

Visit site
I would second sheepskin. People think of it as being hot, but it allows the air to flow and does keep the horse drier.

Micropony

Visit site
Those Cal Rei ones are pretty good, and there are some cheaper copies around now too, The Husk is one, and I think premier equine do something a bit similar.

I can't say I have used any of them personally as frankly I don't work my horse hard and long enough to justify it yet, but I have observed with interest the experiences of friends who do! These pads definitely do seem to leave the horses less sweaty, and I like the idea of being able to just take the hose to a sweaty saddle pad after a schooling session.

Had sheepskin for my last horse but found them such a pain to wash and dry and if you don't they seem to lose their bounce and resilience, and it does seem to change the fit of the saddle slightly.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Those Cal Rei ones are pretty good, and there are some cheaper copies around now too, The Husk is one, and I think premier equine do something a bit similar.

I can't say I have used any of them personally as frankly I don't work my horse hard and long enough to justify it yet, but I have observed with interest the experiences of friends who do! These pads definitely do seem to leave the horses less sweaty, and I like the idea of being able to just take the hose to a sweaty saddle pad after a schooling session.

Had sheepskin for my last horse but found them such a pain to wash and dry and if you don't they seem to lose their bounce and resilience, and it does seem to change the fit of the saddle slightly.

You don't need to wash sheepskin, rigorous brushing is all that's required.