Best option for youngster re yards?

Charmin

Visit site
Bit of a whim, I was intending on putting my mare in foal but having searched the internet came across a foal and long story short, I have a weanling coming in October! however my preference is to keep a youngster out 24/7 in a herd with playmates. There's three options available and I'm stuck between them...

Said weanling is warmblood x tb, born March and being gelded soon.

a) same yard as my mare, five minutes drive and within walking. group turnout available, would be in a mixed herd of 6yo 14.2 mare, 3yo 16hh gelding, 5yo 15hh gelding and 21yo mare. both geldings are unbroken and extremely playful but there is a chance the 3yo will be moved soon. Advantages are I'm up there twice a day to check, there is a field shelter and good quality haylage fed ad lib when the grass runs low. Downsides: field can get very boggy up at the top in winter, though bottom stays dry and there is hardstanding around the gate where the haylage is fed.

b) yard 10 minutes away, would be out with a 2yo and a 3yo gelding and a broodmare. Big field with lots of natural shelter, doesn't get particularly boggy. In horrendous weather they're brought into a big barn. Advantages are I'd be able to check everyday, more his age etc. Disadvantages: playmates aren't exactly his age

c) yard an hour away, a stud with lots of youngsters. Immaculate fields and shelter, brought in once a week for checks and handling by staff. Advantages: lots of playmates the same age and competent handling of youngsters, they're extremely trustworthy. Disadvantages: I would only be able to visit at weekends due to distance, part of me thinks I'd be missing out on growth etc. Plus in the summer I would like to take him to a couple of shows which would all be easier if he was closer to home. Plus the most expensive option though still is doable.

So lovely people, what would you do?

be positive

Visit site
Option 3 for the first winter, far better to be with others the same age at this stage of his life, then look at moving next spring to somewhere nearer to you so you can be more involved.

Tobiano

Visit site
I am not an expert but I would pick b. He will be able to play with the 2 and 3 YO and the brood mare will keep his manners in check. My 3 YO had about 6 months (from 6 months old) with a colt 6 months older than him, then spent a year with a 4 YO, since then he's been with adult horses and he is perfectly well adjusted and happy.

SpottyMare

Visit site
I'd probably go with b unless you're not particularly worried about seeing him on a daily basis. Mine was with a 2yo, a couple of older mares and an ancient mare and was fine. If nobody else wants to play they make up their own games... :)

shadowboy

Visit site
B for me. If I was to bother to have a foal (horse from scratch) I would want to be involved in its care and up bringing which c doesn't really give much opportunity for. Plus the old brood mare will be good for keeping him in line.

crabbymare

Visit site
Option c for the first winter and then in spring or summer move to b. reason being that he will be better off in a herd of weanlings and will be able to play with others his age and size and a stud will normally have an older mare in with weanlings to keep them in order

Char0901

Visit site
My lad is 15 months old now. His first winter he was at my friends yard and on daily turn out with another foal, just two weeks younger than him and a very sensible 3 year old. (He was in at night because he suffered really bad mud fever and this gave his legs a break)
This summer he was on my friends land with the same yearling, his 2 year old half brother, a 3 year old filly who became 'mother' and 'protector' of the herd and an old school pony who was like the grumpy uncle! It was a good mix of ages and characters.
He's now moved to a yard away from the others he's known and gets on well with all horses. He's really friendly.
Also I loved being there for all the 'firsts' and being the on to teach him to lead etc. He's my first and only homebred and will be with me forever. We now have a very strong bond and he trusts me massively which is making anything new that we do now a lot easier.
So after all that!... I'd say option B is a good happy medium.
Good luck! I've had so much fun so far, its a great thing to do x