Best Packs For Beginners - SURREY

acorn92x

Visit site
I'm thinking about taking my cob out to her first hunt (I've been out a few times before when I was much younger) and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations about which hunt might be best? She's very sensible however I don't jump due to a previous pelvis injury so ALL jumps MUST be optional, I cannot stress that enough! She's fine with gates and is very well behaved. I'm based near Epsom, Surrey so within a 45ish min radius would be lovely. I've read good things about the Coakham Bloodhounds but not sure how suitable it would be for a first hunt?

Thoughts please :)

TGM

Visit site
The Coakham are really a jumping pack and you do normally need to be able to be able to jump boundary fences of about 2'6" to 2'9", although the big hedges are normally easy to bypass. They do, however, have a few days in the season when they have a non-jumping master who can help you navigate all the jumps. However they just had one of those days yesterday, and I'm not quite sure when the next similar day will be. They do have a Facebook page and it is worth joining that to get an idea of what meets are coming up, plus you will learn quite a bit about what to expect from all the questions asked!

acorn92x

Visit site
Oh blast! How annoying! Thanks TGM, that's really useful to know. My horse is a very good girl but hasn't done much jumping prior to me buying her and none with me so along with the risk that comes with me jumping anyway, I'm not sure how I'd feel about it. I've joined the Facebook page so will keep my eyes open. The other hunt that is very local to me is Surrey Union, does anyone have any experience with them?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
If you contact SU, once you have gone through rigmarole of giving info (for obvious reasons), they will be helpful.
There are meets which there will be a non-jumping field as well as a jumping field, but you will need to ask which they are.

If your horse is reasonably fit, then also consider Staff College Drag Hunt. They do have 'novice' meets, also there will be a non-jumping field on a lot of occasions, will be noted on meet card. Have done Twesledown, Barossa and Minley meets on a non-jumper myself in recent yrs :)