Best Partially sighted puppy's barking, recall & light sensitivity (PICCIES TOO!)

Elle123

www.ellaporterphotography.co.uk
Hello, *ignore the best in the title!*
just to update anyone that hasn't read about Pixel before:
She is a 4 month old blue roan show type cocker spaniel puppy. Recently got confirmed by the vet as being partially sighted due to:
- Bilateral Micropthalmia
- Optic Nerve Hypoplasia

The Bilateral Micropthalmia essentially means 'small eye'. The eye doesn't form correctly and she will always have smaller than normal, most likely sunken, eyes. This most commonly seen just in one eye, but Pixel has been very unlucky and has it in both : (

Optic Nerve Hypoplasia is where the Optic Nerve hasn't developed properly, and is abnormally small, meaning the brain can't receive the messages correctly.

she can only see shadows and lights

So to the problems,
sister has a mini schnauz, currently staying with us 'short term' (4 months and counting :S) he is quite nervy. (I think this may be due to being castrated too early) but anyway, when someone comes to the door he darts backwards and forwards from the front door to the back door barking constantly (house quite open plan) This scares the hell out of Pixel. She barks and gets disorientated. Recently he has got worse (most likely because mums been letting him get away with murder because he's 'confused' *rolls eyes*) and this has now led to Pixel even barking when she hears other dogs barking on the telly. Have been desensitizing her by recording noise cases of 'its me or the dog' and praising the quiet which has helped but i don't know what else I can do. Do you think she will start to calm down once the schnauz buggers off?!

Second problem,
Have been letting her off on walks (heathland not near roads and placed back on lead when meeting other dogs) and her recall is very hit and miss, not because shes lost like it used to be, but because something smells good :D got to love a spangle :D but because she can't see all of the techniques i used on the others. bouncing up and down, running in the other direction, playing with a tennis ball etc. don't work. Even a squeaky toy won't get her interest. I have been putting her on a long line and making it really exciting, letting her walk on, calling her back, giving some sausage and then saying 'off you go' and she trundles off again. Which improves it, just wondering if anyone has any other ideas. Am currently in the process of whistle training her but till in the whistling at dinner phase as per trainers instructions. She has never dealt with a partially sighter/blind dog before though so was wondering what your thoughts were.

final issue,
she has problems with lights, which is not a big surprise considering, just wondering what the best way to handle it is. She gets startled by strips of light on the ground, like those coming through windows/trees. Currently I am coaxing her forward with treats and she is doing it less often.
But the main problem is when the sun is bright/and or low. This stops her in her tracks and she can get very confused. Once again I am calling her forward and rewarding and making it really happy and exciting with lots of praise :D So here is the main question which I can't make my mind up on. Do I get her doggles? part of me says yes because she can get stressed by it, but the other says no because she needs to be treated as much as possible as 'normal' and this may heighten the sensitivity when not wearing (plus her friends might laugh at her!!! :D)

I think thats all of it! Cookies for getting to the end and thank you in advance for replies :)
Here's the little monkey :D

In one of her new harnesses (Nice and bright so its easy to see where she is :D)
Pixelyellowharness.jpg

In her car harness
Pixelcarharness.jpg

ahhh the face! How can you say no?!!!
Pixelangelic.jpg

Look mum! I'm almost as big as Ronnie!!!
PixelandRonniebacktoback.jpg

That walk was knackering!
TiredPixel.jpg

Can you see her horns starting to come through ;):D

:D

Elle
x

Last edited:

SusieT

Visit site
aww bless. She is v. cute.
I would just continue treating her as you are, she will learn that life isn't that scary, avoid over fussing when she is scared, and just positivley encourage

Elle123

www.ellaporterphotography.co.uk
Thank you for your replies.
Hehe tricksy, gotta love the Monkey. She's so cuddly, and so special. We fell asleep on the sofa watching tv the other day :D had to wake her up!!!! I'm not convinced she's real. May be a teddy!!! :D

Elle
X

Ravenwood

Visit site
Sounds to me as if you are doing a brilliant job with her - well done :D

I have no experience of partially sighted dogs whatsoever but I do have lots of experience with whistle training :)

Its really easy to train recall to the whistle. I use a 2/11 whistle with two peeps for come and one longer blast for stop.

I have never used the whistle to call for feeding though (they are usually there with me waiting whilst I dish it out ;) )

But for recall, let her off the lead but don't let her go very far at all - just a few feet, then two peeps, call her name with lots of excitement and praise when she comes back - honestly, it will take no time for her to cotton on.

For stop whistle (incredibly important) walk around with her on a lead, blow a hard long blast of the whistle immediately followed by command to sit and lots of praise - repeat often! Try it off lead as soon as you blow that blast she should immediately sit, if not - back to lead but being an intelligent Cocker I bet she will pick it up really quickly ;) And make it fun at all times.

Some hardcore field triallers use a white hanky to direct their dogs (LOL :rollseyes: ) and I wonder if this may be a tactic you could use if it attracts her sight?