best place to look for companion pony?

Rollin

Visit site
I would go to a charity. WHW would be my first port of call. You cannot buy the pony it will be on long term loan.

You could also try Redwings, Blue Cross,

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
One of the rescue charities would be a good place to start.

I've just seen my second RSPCA foster filly off to her forever home, she'd been with me since November. Whilst she was only ever with me temporarily, there were plenty of others who were looking for long term homes.

https://www.rspca.org.uk/local/gonsal-farm-animal-centre/

I don't really need another companion pony atm, but I have got very used to having one knocking around, so may well get my third one in the future...

ETA snap with Webble, Gonsal Farm is near Shrewsbury.

Last edited:

Amye

Visit site
Definitely agree with a charity - charities are so full up with ponies at the moment. A lot are only suitable for being companions so they struggle to move them on and if they can't rehome their horses then they can't rescue anymore.

Hope Pastures is a lovely charity based in Leeds, they are small but have grown alot in the past few years and will rehome within the Yorkshire area I believe. They have a website and a facebook page with horses and ponies on that need forever homes.

Fraggle2

Visit site
Try equine market watch. (Emw) They quite often have companions that are on there books that come straight from there original homes. Pm janet George for references as she's a patron of the charity.

Last edited:

JJS

Visit site

catkin

Visit site
Please think about loaning from a reputable charity - a good one will have assessed the ponies as well as the type of home you can offer so you are likely to get a 'good match''.
We have one from a local charity and she's an utter charmer.

Snuffles

Visit site
Whats the process if you rehome from a charity. Thought about this previously but most big rescues not near me. Do you have to arrange your own transport or do they transport and you pay etc ?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It depends re transport. RSPCA Gonsal Farm transported both of my foster fillies FOC for me, a round trip of c80 miles. Both fillies were both young and nervous when I took them on, and needed to travel loose. I was concerned that my trailer wasn't optimal for that.

More usually, l think you would be expected to provide your own transport.

GirlFriday

Visit site
Snuffles, not sure what the companion is going to be company for but worth thinking about something that needs similar management to whoever you already have so they can actually be company iyswim... And lost of larger sized companions at rescues too.

Supertrooper

Visit site
Whats the process if you rehome from a charity. Thought about this previously but most big rescues not near me. Do you have to arrange your own transport or do they transport and you pay etc ?

My pony is from WHW, he was at the centre in Norfolk and I live in Warwickshire. I arranged and paid for his transport which is the norm with WHW.

PLEASE really consider rehoming from a charity, so many need homes and honestly the best decision I have ever made. Love my boy xxxx