Best plan of action to sell unhandled horses.

Shantara

Visit site
I re-read the OP, as I had 30 horses in my head for some reason! 13 shouldn't be THAT hard to get rid of surely? And if some are older and he's keeping them, that makes it even less!
There's a post on our favourite selling website (DD) and I think there's 40 going for £250+ each. It doesn't say if they're handled or not though.
I'm too far away to offer any sort of help I'm afraid, but I hope this all gets sorted without any loss of life!

Clodagh

Visit site
They will have a meat value; probably most horse meat does not go for human consumption.

Round here you still have to pay to get your horse into the pet meat trade. £160 a horse for me to get 2 horses shot and picked up by the local slaughterhouse. £250 each if heavily sedated or or any medication. It is £150 a horse for the hunt to do it.

I think WHW sound like a plan.

gallopingby

Visit site
Pleased to see comments from Dry Rot about the Dallas horses. The situation was not as described by many. The gentleman was elderly and his mobility wasn't good, so not able to look after them, although going back a few years to his fathers day this had been a well respected Highland Pony stud. Worth while asking for help.

becca1998

Visit site
Don't send them for meat I saved a pone from the meat lorry and shes come on leaps and bounds when she is older she's going to make a cracking jumping pony. And another who I broke in for someone and he is stunning now hunted and jumped with me also rode him western the one's who have had nothing done to them seem to turn out to be the best....

Dry Rot

Visit site
Pleased to see comments from Dry Rot about the Dallas horses. The situation was not as described by many. The gentleman was elderly and his mobility wasn't good, so not able to look after them, although going back a few years to his fathers day this had been a well respected Highland Pony stud. Worth while asking for help.

I did hear from those who would know that the Highlands were probably pure (they certainly looked it to me) because the respective stallions kept to their own mares and would not allow any interference from outsiders. Yes, it had been one of the top studs, The old boy knew what he was doing, it just got a bit too much because of age and illness. Some lovely ponies there.

Milliechaz

Visit site
Call HAPPA too they may be able to help. If not there are loads of smaller size charities who may be able to take 1 or 2 each. I'd be calling paddy gracey and also shy lowen too as they may take them for thier kids to work on because they help kids as well as horses as therepy.

sunnyone

Visit site
Unbroken, unhandled horses and ponies do have a market.
Some years back we bought 5 at the New Forest sales. 3 weanling fillies, 2 colts. All were fully papered. We kept them from 6 months to 6 years and handled them only when necessary e.g. for hooves, medication and gelding. We knowingly sold them on to a dealer believing she would break them. Instead she put them through the sales. 1 colt for whom I had paid 7 gns made 750 gns, I don't know what the other colt made that day but a year or so ago he was advertised on Horse quest for 2k. I probably paid 1 guinea as I bought him with his mum who I retained. I know he has been placed at county level since. Of the fillies 1 went to a New Forest stud and Royal Windsor, 1 had to be put down and the other is clearly in a good home at a highly thought of BHS riding school.