Best practice while equine flu is prevalent 🤧

MrsMurs

Visit site
if this is a stupid question I apologise.

Is it ok to hack out while this is going on? I don’t have access to a school at home and fields are off limits, so rely on hacking on the road and around the villages for my fittening work. Gelding is due inj next month but have brought forward to this week. Am I ok to stick with our hacking routes or is it best practice to stay home for the sake of a week or so?
Many thanks

Auslander

Visit site
Whereabouts are you?
I haven't asked my liveries to stop hacking, as the nearest outbreak to us is 30 miles away. Should there be cases within say 5 miles of us, I'd be seriously considering shutdown.
5 of mine were vaccinated early today, with another 2 being done later this week/next week. The others are within 6 months. The only change here is that the resident hunter won't be going out for the forseeable. I wouldn't stop people going competing, where I knew passports were being checked - but hunting is a bit too high risk for my liking.

MrsMurs

Visit site
We’re Lincolnshire. I believe hunting is continuing in the lincs area from what I’ve seen on Facebook, not that I hunt personally.

Shay

Visit site
All you need to do is maintain bio security. Don't touch noses with anyone you meet, don't allow folk to touch your horse. Don't drink from any open water sources. Nothing you would not (or should not) be doing anyway.

Vaccination won't stop this - its a panacea. Vaccinated horses get it and spread it too. Good bio security stops it.

tristar

Visit site
do you want a very poorly pony, a large vet bill total disruption to your life, looking after a sick pony, or losing one, and risk spreading it to others, however small the risk, ? then stay at home for the next short period until we see what happens.

the reason there are not more cases, is because everyone involved is taking this seriously, flu will spread like a wild fire uncontrolled if not contained, and i would like to thank everyone personally on my horses behalf, who is doing their bit to make sure that does not happen.

meleeka

Visit site
do you want a very poorly pony, a large vet bill total disruption to your life, looking after a sick pony, or losing one, and risk spreading it to others, however small the risk, ? then stay at home for the next short period until we see what happens.

Can you give an example of a vaccinated horse being either very sick or even dying? I don’t think this level of hysteria is helpful at all.

OP are you very near the current outbreaks? That would sway my decision I think.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Can you give an example of a vaccinated horse being either very sick or even dying? I don’t think this level of hysteria is helpful at all.

OP are you very near the current outbreaks? That would sway my decision I think.

Quite - hacking out, when not near any current outbreak, is not going to dramatically increase the chance of picking it up by chance, unless you're riding through competition venues / alongside dealers yards / race yards (or anywhere with high rates of movement in / out and greater chance of contamination).

tristar

Visit site
ii was thanking people who are putting themselves out to reduce the risk to everyone else.

if you, choose to do otherwise, its your choice.

i don`t think its hysteria, its called common sense born from the experience of having seen and owned horses who have had the flu and if my opinion is not helpful please feel free to ignore it