Best Pro-biotic for horses

Sammyjpa

New User
Visit site
My daughters horse has been on Naf GastriAid for over a year as this is what his old owners gave him for sloppy poos but after a bout of wall covering runny poos the vet told us to swap to a pro-biotic instead which has sorted the problem out, firmest poos he's ever done. I used the vets stuff to sort him out but don't know the best one to use long term, any suggestions? We generally stick with Naf products which would be the Pink Powder but thought I'd see if there is anything else out there before I buy some.

be positive

Visit site
I would expect a normal horse without an underlying condition to be fine once the probiotic had done it's job, if he is still loose then look at the diet rather than keep giving him supplements to balance out something you may be feeding that does not agree with him.
My approach would be to remove all hard feed for a while, give hay and grass only then if he remains firm gradually introduce a basic low starch and sugar feed and see how it goes, if he is having problems digesting part of his current diet then long term it will be doing him no good to keep being exposed to it, sorry if you have already tried this but sometimes it does not occur to vets to try the obvious first before using drugs or supplements.

Protexin is good if you do want to use something but I have only ever used it short term, I would avoid the NAF product as the last one clearly did not help.

BlueSocks

Visit site
Protexin gut balancer is fantastic and good value for money. You can start with the quick fix tube for 5 days then go onto the powder. You can use it long term with no probs at a maintenance dose, which if your horse is sensitive to dietary changes (which includes just fluctuations in grass etc), works really well to help them deal with it so you avoid any problems. Particularly helpful when starting/finishing hay or haylage feeding in winter and spring. Good gut health is essential to overall well-being as it can really effect immune system etc.

BlueSocks

Visit site
Also feeding something like speedibeet / fibrebeet is good as this helps to coat the gut lining, plus obviously sticking to a fibre based diet for slow & optimum digestion. I would also avoid haylage and feed good quality hay instead, and cut out extra sugars in the diet (ie molassed feeds etc). Keep the diet as simple as possible.

JillA

Visit site
Yeasacc is the best I know, and is often the ingredient in other products - get it on ebay. I thought Brewers Yeast was vitamin b, not a probiotic?

Ella19

Visit site
Yeasacc has sorted out my girl. Out of curiosity are you on sandy pasture? despite monthly psyllium husk I found the cause for my mares diahorrea was sand in the gut. I'd had vets out, sort o line advise, no one had a clue. She was hosepipe in stable and field but solid when ridden. Suddenly pooped a Sandy nugget and hey presto it occured to me. It had been going on for months. I did a sand water glove check and there was about 1cm of sand at the bottom!! Double dose of sand out has sorted her out with yeasacc to help her gut recover.