Best product for Stroppy Mares?

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Was not sure whether to post this in Vets but looking for best product for a mare that is being touchy about being saddled (back already checked), & being hyper sensitive. Blood tests have not shown anything either. She has started to get more difficult over the last month, after make huge progress.

Feel Good 30 Hormonal Mare
Stroppy Mare
Temperamental Liquid Tincture
Hormosol
Hormonease
Frisky Mare Plus
Equilibrium Solution
Equilibrium Valerian Free Solution
Regulate Extra Support Dried Herbs
Regulate Valerian Free Dried Herbs
Frisky Mare
Oestress
Hormonise
Mare Cycle
Moody Mare

RachelB

Visit site
My friend's sensitive Anglo mare is on Oestress, it really works for her as when she runs out of it you can really see the difference in her temperament. I'd say start at the cheapest supp, work your way up the price ladder, then as a last resort try Regumate.

burtie

Visit site
Whilst I don't really have a problem with people feeding supplements at the first sign of any problems, it's their money after all and as long as it isn't doing the horse any harm no big deal. I do feel we seem really quick to look for a supplement to cure anything these days. It is a fact of nature that mares are a bit more temperamental and touchy around the girth and belly area than geldings. I rarely met one that isn't. Yet with careful and considerate and diciplined handling it has never been a problem with any mare I know bar a few that later turn out to have genuine problems with their ovaries and cycles and associated hormones.

So my recommendation is to look carefully at her management and handling and only resort to a supplement as a last resort. If all esle fails then really only regumate is the one I would recommend.

Madam_max

Visit site
I know what is is
grin.gif

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
"Whilst I don't really have a problem with people feeding supplements at the first sign of any problems, it's their money after all and as long as it isn't doing the horse any harm no big deal. I do feel we seem really quick to look for a supplement to cure anything these days. It is a fact of nature that mares are a bit more temperamental and touchy around the girth and belly area than geldings. I rarely met one that isn't. Yet with careful and considerate and diciplined handling it has never been a problem with any mare I know bar a few that later turn out to have genuine problems with their ovaries and cycles and associated hormones.

So my recommendation is to look carefully at her management and handling and only resort to a supplement as a last resort. If all esle fails then really only regumate is the one I would recommend. "

Burtie I understand what you are saying, but as I have said she has been checked. She has always been a bit difficult but had made real progress, then in the last weeks she has changed. She has started biting, she is more sensitive her whole attitude in unpredictable. Her ridden work is no longer consistant. Now as she has had her teeth, back & saddle checked, & blood tests have revealed nothing, I am left with trying out a hormone balancer. I was warned by a McTimoney Chiropractor that she could be prone to being hormonal. I have always had mares, this year is the 1st time I have ever had a gelding so I am very aware of how mares differ, but you would not know so I dont have a problem with the comment. This is like living with a PMT teenager! Thanks everyone for the feedback, much appreciated

Thistle

Visit site
try Dodson and Horrell pure Chaste Berries. Approx £12 for 2kg. Feed a couple of tablespoons a day. You will prob find you need to order it in as most places don't stock it. Chaste berries are the active ingredient in many of the mare supplements.

lisan

pets.webshots.com
[ QUOTE ]
try Dodson and Horrell pure Chaste Berries. Approx £12 for 2kg. Feed a couple of tablespoons a day. You will prob find you need to order it in as most places don't stock it. Chaste berries are the active ingredient in many of the mare supplements.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks Thistle, I will get some ordered. I took my mare off the hormonal mare for the winter. BIG mistake, she is back on it from tonight! She is being agressive towards other horses, and argumentative - she's only been off it two weeks!