Best reins for long manes?

Beausmate

Visit site
As above really, I'm wondering which type of reins (if any!) are less likely to snag in a huge, bouffant horsey hairdo?

And no, I'm not going to hog him! :p

Floxie

Visit site
But aren't rubber covered more likely to snag?

Not a problem I've had to deal with but I imagine plaited - or those awesome old fashioned string ones (can you get those?!) would be the best compromise for grip and not getting tangled...

Beausmate

Visit site
But aren't rubber covered more likely to snag?

That's what I was thinking...

Not a problem I've had to deal with but I imagine plaited - or those awesome old fashioned string ones (can you get those?!) would be the best compromise for grip and not getting tangled...

Ooo, I remember the string ones! Haven't seen any for a very long time though.

Floxie

Visit site
Let me know if you do ever see some - now I come to think of it, I bet they'd be brilliant in the rain AND solve my stupid rein-slipping issues (still can't find gloves that help!)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
The string ones are games reins I think and you can still get them.

I have used laced and biogrip on my mare but her mane is very fine and long so it doesn't get in the way quite as much.

Dizzy socks

Visit site
I have the string reins, and they are very good. I think they are sometimes called games reins, as Ffionwinnie said. Wanna trade for some nice leather, plaited ones? :D

Brightbay

Visit site
Plain leather are fine but no real grip especially when wet. Day to day, I use Zilco endurance reins. Rubber would be a huge no-no, I think.

lhotse

Visit site
My mare has a long mane, and being arab there isn't a huge amount of it! I have always used leather laced reins, they are very comfortable and give good grip without any snagging.

noblesteed

Visit site
Laced (plaited) reins. Rubber ones pull my iberian's mane to bits. I only use them if it's raining.

Though I am ever on the lookout for the nice old-school fabric ones you all mention.