Best reins for riders with tiny hands?!

Tash88

Visit site
Morning all,

After a rather unfortunate incident out hacking yesterday evening when my reins snapped, I am looking for some new ones. The problem is most reins (like standard rubber ones) are too wide for my hands and I can't hold them properly and as I will be buying online I can't go and try them. So do any of you have any recommendations? I generally prefer those that are plain on the outside with grip on the inside, but any recommendations welcome.

Thanks,

Tash x

Leo Walker

Visit site
I'm the same, tiny little hands and stubby fingers! I use either plain curb reins, which I love as I love the little loop they have so you can shorten them and drop them on the neck, or if I need more grip I use thin half lined rubber ones. Think they are 1/2" wide. Much thinner and narrower than standard rubber reins anyway

Roxylola

Visit site
I have small hands and just recently got a bridle from ck equine (off facebook) which came with half leather reins which are terrific - she does a vast array of reins too

ihatework

Visit site
Have you ever tried the eventa/biogrip reins (they have a variety of names).

From pictures they look like regular rubber reins, but they have a nylon rather than leather core. This makes them quite floppy and far less bulky than standard rubber reins (and even leather half backed reins).

I hate riding in anything else now

HappyDayz

Visit site
I can only ride in the bio grip type rein. I got mine from English bridles. They're so bendy, most reins are too thick meaning I can't close my fingers round them but these are great!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I was given a pair of Jeffries bio grip reins, initially thought they were rubbish but after using them on a horse with a tricky mouth, I changed my mind completely.

The best reins I had was a set of continental reins without the leather stops. Never seen them to buy again, they were 3/4" soft webbing that just sat in the hand like a pair of well worn gloves.

Tash88

Visit site
Thank you all - I looked for both the Jeffries and JHL Pro ones last night but couldn't find any in the right size/colour combination unfortunately! Settled for some Mark Todd biogrip ones as they looked similar and I needed to order them quickly, so will see what they are like and maybe I'll have a look on ebay for the Jeffries ones when I have more time.

Seems that Biogrip/Eventa reins are the way forward though! Looking forward to trying them out.