Best saddle for short backed problem horse...

BlackISH

Visit site
Have a 15.1hh ISH gelding with a very short back and forward girth groove.

I was just wondering if there are any saddles out there that cater to this kind of shape?

(tried to upload a photo of his back but the file is too big apparently!)

Thanks

BlackISH

Visit site
Very similar problem to me plus mine is also barrel shaped! An excellent WOW saddle fitter sorted our problem?

Thanks for your response! Mine is barrel shaped too! Just not sure I can afford a WOW at the moment, but good to know that they’re decent! ?

cauda equina

Visit site
I had a 16'' K&M PC Long Leg on a little Arab; the fitter said it fitted, he said it didn't
We've now got a Solution and it's great

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Some saddles do a upswept panel that can help a taller rider on a short backed horse, the AH saddles do them and they are aimed at the wider native so could be a solution, I would also use a anatomical girth for a forward girth groove, I have a nice leather Kentaur one on one if my horses.

planete

Visit site
I have just bought a Total Contact saddle for coblet as even a 16" saddle is too long for him. Not everyone's cup of tea I admit but I wanted something I could afford now and we are both happy.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Mine has a short back and very forward girth groove. She's in a WOW which has 16" panels (for her) and a 17" seat (for me) along with an H girthing thingy. I also used this saddle on my last horse who was also very short backed!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I’d also suggest a Solution

Me too!

Sister's Appaloosa came with a 16 1/2 " saddle, having been ridden by a teenager, saddle not really suited to sister who is 5'6", so bought a Saddle Company saddle which was ok but not perfect. Eventually bought a Solution which solved all problems. My Westphalian Kaltblut was built like a massive Shetland pony, short legs and a short back with a huge barrel, We had 5 saddles in 4 yrs and tried plenty of others, again a Solution solved all the problems.

Sleipnir

Visit site
Had a similar problem, until stopped happily at a Ghost saddle. :) Horse had a long history of fitting problems, but now, after 3 years in a Ghost, he's never been happier and all the vets/chiro always compliment on the health and condition of his topline and spine.