Best sedation for clipping?

LollyDolly

Visit site
Hello all!

Ok so Sandy HATES clippers, it's the noise that stresses him out. Last year I tried Sedalin and it just didn't touch him at all, he was a lively and problematic as always to clip.

Are there any others that you guys would recommend? Or should I just pay to get the vet out who can fully sedate him with an injection?

Thanks! :D

shelly19

Visit site
Used domosedan paste for my cobx recently and I was a bit disapointed with it. Managed to get my lads neck and under belly clipped before he went wild, was a very rushed job and he never looked sleepy....just a bit subdued.

charmeroo

Visit site
Domgel is brilliant! I've used it now on several horses to clip and all have taken well. My tb had it to have wolf teeth fragments removed and he was 'under' for three hours in all! If it doesn't work - then you've probably not administered it correctly under their tongue!

Rebels

Visit site
Found the domosedan to work even if they do swallow it as gave it to a horse wedged upside down in the tack room of the 3.5T lorry whilst it's owners were hysterical. Knocked it out enough for it to stop struggling and slither through enlarged grooms door, vet didn't have to top up either whilst he stapled it back together so Shelly19, can't understand why it didn't work for you, I hate it when they lose it mid clip.

dressedkez

Visit site
Sedaline usually works - but it does need an hour to kick in................Most of us try and attempt to clip at thee 30 min point, and the horses are still hyper.
Also for a tricky horse I often use the a whole tube........but actually, I have found of late that horses that used to need doping, don;t - if you have a new set of blades, and quiet clippers, and you are just quiet genrally with them. Whilst the main clippers are colling off every 20 mins or so, I use the hand held to do the fidddly bits (such as stifle nad between the legs)
I have also twitched a horse for the whole performance - but you need to be quick - and I would suggest two sets of heavy duty clippers on the go, so you can continue whilst one set are being re-oiled.........

SuperCoblet

Visit site
Ok, so my cob hates clippers too, for aged we spent loads on sedation and all sorts. He even faught vet sedative. Don't waste your money, buy a pack of magic calm, give an hour before and stick a massive ball of cotton wool down his ears! Managed to fully clip mine and he really is petrified of them! Even used the big clippers rather than the harmony ones! Best thing ive ever used :)

LollyDolly

Visit site
Oh I'm all for twitching and have twitched previous horses in the past!

Sadly my youngster knows all the tricks in the book, I have tried to twitch him in the past but he just fights and rears away from it. The minute you start twisting the loop he just freaks and will rear and pull back, ultimately he only stresses himself out more.

It's the noise of the clippers that he hates, so I might also try the cotton wool approach and see if that helps too!

Thanks so much everyone :D

Alyth

Visit site
I cannot believe that sedation is the way. Start the clippers way away from the horse. Use approach and retreat. When the horse relaxes, retreat!! It is SO SIMPLE....!!!! Reward relaxation!!! Don't try and get that little bit more!!! Twitching is a big negative in my experience. Horses remember twitching as a bad experience and are apprehensive when that loop goes on the nose!!! Remembering what happens before what happens happens....Try using a massager on various parts of the horses body gradually approaching the parts you will want to clip - beard, ears, muzzle etc. I have to say it....use your brains and imagination people!!!

Rebels

Visit site
Alyth, having retrained several bad clippers then I know that some horses go so silly as to be dangerous. My 17.3 wb was so scared of the noise he would go up, spin round and fall over in his stable. That was on the other side of the yard to the clippers. Even now (4years of desensitisation later) when he can be clipped normally the sound is enough to turn him into a speed weaving wreck so I have to adapt my clipping technique to cope with the rocking. In some cases sedation is kinder and safer.

*Nik*

Visit site
Alyth, having retrained several bad clippers then I know that some horses go so silly as to be dangerous. My 17.3 wb was so scared of the noise he would go up, spin round and fall over in his stable. That was on the other side of the yard to the clippers. Even now (4years of desensitisation later) when he can be clipped normally the sound is enough to turn him into a speed weaving wreck so I have to adapt my clipping technique to cope with the rocking. In some cases sedation is kinder and safer.

Completely agree. Sometimes it is safer and less stressful for both you andyour horse to have sedated. My boy is genuinely terrified of the clippers i have spent time trying to desensitise him but with little success. If i try and go anywhere near him he rears up and comes at me with his front legs or tries to kick my head in with his back legs and i rather value my head :p

I also have found over the years that over time you can gradually guve them less and less sedation as they become happier with the process as there is no stress associated as they are all asleep.

POLLDARK

Visit site
If you just do one good clip you could try my tip. I always get the Vet to sedate my youngster to do his teeth, while he is 'under' he is vaccinated & clipped. saves a lot of hassle.:)

ozpoz

Visit site

This^

I have one who (I am told, would try to kill you, unsedated) I have no reason to disbelieve this and experiment!
I am also sure that if there was a way in the past to de sensitive him, it would have been done.

Visit site
Given that I don't get much oppertunity to get horses sedated due to withdrawal periods I fully reccomend trying earplugs. I'm not so keen on suffing cottonwool down their ears as it can break up and leave bits down there when you pull it out. I prefer using sponges. I only sedate the seriosuly ticklish ones - ie the ones that practically fall over on top of you for touching them let alone running vibrating clippers over them.

Earplugging is worth a shot if your in no rush to get your horse clipped. You still can't beat a properly spaced out horse that doesn't move a muscle though :D

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hello all!

Ok so Sandy HATES clippers, it's the noise that stresses him out. Last year I tried Sedalin and it just didn't touch him at all, he was a lively and problematic as always to clip.

Are there any others that you guys would recommend? Or should I just pay to get the vet out who can fully sedate him with an injection?

Thanks! :D
My boy hasn't had his first clip( this year), I do not see the need yet.

ACP can work too

He is new to clipping though, I tend to stand him hear something else being clipped. I get vet to sedate him when washing his bits then I clip after.

On my own I use sedaline, the plan is to sedate him then each year give him slightly less.

fburton

Visit site
I cannot believe that sedation is the way. Start the clippers way away from the horse. Use approach and retreat. When the horse relaxes, retreat!! It is SO SIMPLE....!!!! Reward relaxation!!! Don't try and get that little bit more!!! Twitching is a big negative in my experience. Horses remember twitching as a bad experience and are apprehensive when that loop goes on the nose!!! Remembering what happens before what happens happens....Try using a massager on various parts of the horses body gradually approaching the parts you will want to clip - beard, ears, muzzle etc. I have to say it....use your brains and imagination people!!!
Well said. Imo, desensitization should at least be tried in a proper, progressive way - i.e. spending a decent amount on time on it, not just 2 minutes with live clippers and then say "This isn't going to work!" - and if that doesn't succeed only then consider the alternatives. Desensitization, as Alyth described, can work even with horses that are "genuinely terrified".

Counter-conditioning is also very useful, i.e. rewarding a behaviour incompatible with the one you're trying to avoid or stop. Take a look at http://research.vet.upenn.edu/Portals/49/How to Injection Shyness.pdf if you want details.

My impression, which I admit could be way off the mark, is that a lot of busy horsepeople go straight for sedation or twitching without seriously considering and trying the behavioural approach. If this is true, what's the reason? Genuine lack of time? Lack of specific knowledge and/or experience of how to do it properly?

amandap

Visit site
My impression, which I admit could be way off the mark, is that a lot of busy horsepeople go straight for sedation or twitching without seriously considering and trying the behavioural approach. If this is true, what's the reason? Genuine lack of time? Lack of specific knowledge and/or experience of how to do it properly?
Sadly, this is my impression too but it is only an impression. I also wonder if there is a cultural element ie. it's what is done at some yards? In the rush getting the job done becomes the overriding factor and the horse becomes almost a pain/awkward in that mindset.
I know I have been and still am guilty of doing stuff without thinking or reviewing it and looking for alternatives or if it's working and 'better' for the horse.

First Time Mum

Visit site
If the horse needs to be sedated vet jab everytime - much safer for everyone involved after having more than one horse stress its way through the gels and come round panicking I would rather it was completely out of it.

Then at least once a week doing some desensitising work with them until safe to approach with some mini clippers and gradually build up.

pansymouse

Visit site

Cut the patrotising, most of us are exprienced owners who try everything before sedation but some horses will always need it for their and the clippers safety. My mare has perfect manners and is highly trained but clippers tickle her so so fidgets, I sedate her for clip her body and add a twitch to do her head.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Cut the patrotising, most of us are exprienced owners who try everything before sedation but some horses will always need it for their and the clippers safety. My mare has perfect manners and is highly trained but clippers tickle her so so fidgets, I sedate her for clip her body and add a twitch to do her head.

Well said also doing a sedation and gradually lessen the amount each time also makes the end result a horse who is happy to stand with no problem. We do not all have time to do repetitive training.
Like above a lot of us are experienced but just like to make it as stress free as possible.

JJones

Visit site
My horse doesnt mind the noise at all, but as soon as you start clipping around the tops of his legs, belly or taking a bit of hair chin off he goes mad, i think its the feeling. He lets you clip his neck fine. Really frustrating.