Best Shampoo for Greys

measles

Visit site
Now that we are about to return to showing I need to try and find a product that will get our coloured pony's white areas clean. Have tried Superpoo etc but still get a yellowy stain. What do others find best?

Just thank goodness she has a black tail...

JustKickOn

Visit site
hehe, i don't know what its called but i now it has good results.

its in a clear bottle and the shampoo colour is blue? anybody know what its called?? they have diff 1s for bays and all that and the shampoos are in colours like pink and green ect ect. really can't remember the name of them! sorry!!

rema

Visit site
I think it is called Blue shampoo!!.
grin.gif

CastleMouse

Visit site
I use baby shampoo from Tesco!
grin.gif
It gets rid of all the grubby stains on Castle's coat, but use it on a small patch on your horse first before use, in case you're horse has an allergy to it
smile.gif

bing

Visit site
Hi there

I have a grey also, i use an ordinary tea tree and shampoo for stain removal mixed.... works for me

But for those stains i use Cowboy magic stain remover - OH MY GOD its fab - spray on dry, emulsify with your fingers and wipe off with damp warm towel and the stain is completely gone - I promise....

luane1

Visit site
We had a grey and a coloured pony and found the best was fairy liquid we also used ladies hair dye every so often on the tail when it went yellow

Janette

Visit site
I have found 'Cowboy Magic Yellow Stain Remover' brilliant for getting much of a stain out. It is very bluey/purple, but turns greenish as the yellow stain lifts out.

A note of caution for the CM green stain remover
blush.gif
, I once sprayed it on Star's hindquarters to remove the travel stains, and a few drops got on her tail. I then used a bright pink dandy brush to brush out her tail, and got bright raspberry streaks running down the tail, where the Stain remover had also removed the colour from the brush onto her tail. We did dressage with a raspberry ripple tail.
smile.gif

Jemayni

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
we also used ladies hair dye every so often on the tail when it went yellow

[/ QUOTE ]

Curious?

What colour hair dye? Does it work? My horse has been off work so I havent washed the tail in ages, so it is dyed yellowy. I have tried all the other given methods, but not this one... Is it worth giving a go?

lydiaandmiffy

Visit site
Cowboy Magic - I absolutely love it stain remover, yellow stains remover absolutely amazing andthis stuff in a pot that comes in purple powder form dont remember its name

icemaiden113

Visit site
I use whal diamond white or quick silver, both purple in colour work great, and for those with greay tails use peoxide or bleach to lift the yellow! Works great just condition well after!! Take a look at my sig for proof!!

dingle12

Visit site
best thing by miles is persil washing up liquid the green one it gets them so white rub it in and leave on for a few min rinse off with warm water. thats wot we use on our coloured and we always get comments he is the one in my sig.

druid

Visit site
Wahl Professional "Dirty Beastie" followed by "Diamond White".

We dye any stains left with old lady leave in hair whitener in "White minx"

Patches

Visit site
Druid...I'm shocked...you go to such great lengths and yet still my WHITE greys are cleaner than yours!!! LMAO
tongue.gif

Hattikins

Visit site
Supreme's Blue Shampoo - makes dirty greys go white before your eyes - honestly!! i swear by the stuff for dirty socks and stained grey ponies!!
smile.gif

Emily99

Visit site
The purple shampoo for greys from HorseHealth.

Got talking to the guy at Hickstead... he even came and bathed our grey pony for us to prove it works (He's based just up the road)!!

Tis Brill... and you don't use much either so the bottles last ages!

measles

Visit site
Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I'm going to work through them all and see what works best for her as she is a slightly sensitive soul and can react to some products.

Am SO relieved to find that those with grey tails give them a little helping hand with the human hair products at times - I just thought on our previous pony (this one has a black tail - celebrations!) I wasn't scrubbing hard enough!!

druid

Visit site
tongue.gif
I only do that for shows (and legs/tail for hunting)
smirk.gif

the rest of the time he can be as green/brown/yellow as he wishes!

mandy4727

Visit site
As well as Cowboy Magic Stain remover which is good. I also used on my coloured filly last year. One I can't for the life of me remember the name of. It comes in a tub and is in powder form. You mix it in a bucket to look like a paste. But I made it rather more watery cos she has a lot of white on her it it was about £11 a tub and didn't want to use it all up. I plastered it all over the white bits in the evening and left it over night (don't know if you should or not?!??! - think you do). I brushed it off the next day and she was the whitest I have ever seen any horse. If only I could remember the name. Will try and look when I go to the yard in the morning or if I remember it.
Supreme products rings a bell though but I do have other products of theirs.
calli3.jpg

calli1.jpg

Crap photo I know. No neck, stood funny and didn't want to be there but she was only a yearling then!!!

Drummer

Visit site
Washing up liquid!!! There is a clear one and I believe the make is Eco... something. It contains no nasties and really cleans my boy up well. He has had nasty reactions to a few things some of these being special horse shampoos for greys but this is fine on his sensitive skin. It also works well in his tail and as do soap flakes. But my favourite product is Supreme Products Blue Rinse I find this works amazing and you dont need to use too much or you will turn your horse blue (yep sorry about that Drum!)

I always get comments on how white he is even when I dont think so!!