best small reins

windand rain

Visit site
how is it best to keep reins small for a child rider with tiny hands I knotted them today but she still struggled can you buy or make bridged reins while she learns to keep her reins and her hands down.

be positive

Visit site
I keep them on the lunge or lead rein until they are balanced in trot and I twist the reins and put them through the throat lash leaving just enough so the child can hold the end without interfering with the ponies mouth, they can still get the idea of steering, although not actually doing so, if they drop them it doesn't matter.
By the time they are balanced in rising trot they will probably have the technique to hold them as long as they are narrow enough, a handle on the front of the saddle can be useful but most of the children I teach spend the majority of the time doing exercises to help their balance so holding the reins or anything else is a very small part of their riding time.

Wheels

Visit site
Sabre do a spliced rein with a large keeper that you can move up and down to make shorter or longer. They are for a double bridle but I use them for in hand work

Visit site
If it's an old pair of reins that you don't mind trashing then use duct tape to make a bridge. Or use plaiting/rubber bands to create it is you want to keep your reins good.