Best sport horse breeding for.....

Sharpie

Visit site
a calm, easy going competition horse capable of BS BN/Disc, BE intro/PN and all day to day horse activities inc hacking/pleasure rides, cubbing/hunting, and pot some low level team chasing?

I have had many horses now, youngsters that ive produced myself to older 'schoolmaster' sorts. Tb x, WB x, KWPN's, Belgium, Danish and irish inc star kingdom/kinf of diamonds and clover hill etc etc etc

I have decided to sell up for the winter to recoup enough funds to buy my ultimate allrounder/competition horse next year (I can save far more when not paying out constantly on livery, shoes, teeth etc etc lol)

I love warmbloods and part breds, but can anybody recommend the best breeding to suit small lady rider, competant but not wanting anything sharp, needlessly spooky or have an unpredictble edge to them......wondered who could point me in the direction of breeding that would suit as i know a lot of personalities and quirks come through genetics.

Any info really appreciated :)

measles

Visit site
I'm really not sure that you can generalise to any great extent as I'd always assess the horse before me on it's individual merits and attitude. However, you might want to think of a native cross, say a Connemara x TB, or something of that type for a bit of a sensible native head and rideability but that again is a generalisation.

I'd focus on finding something through recommendation or word of mouth when the time comes which might be safer than narrowing your search to a breed or specific type?

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
Funny you should say that measles, I am forward planning a little. I have decided that I am probably going to find myself a 'sporty model' Connemara possibly next year buying a 2 year old to play about with............
OP I think you need to look at everything individually a see what 'feels' right :)

measles

Visit site
Funny you should say that measles, I am forward planning a little. I have decided that I am probably going to find myself a 'sporty model' Connemara possibly next year buying a 2 year old to play about with............
OP I think you need to look at everything individually a see what 'feels' right :)

Funny you should say that, Baggybreeches. There must be a run on rising 2yo connies as you are the second person in as many days to say that is their plan, with a not grey gelding specified!

Luci07

Visit site
TB/ID- a bit of Irish draught in a horse takes the drama out of a crisis! :D

Again, can't generalise. I have had a LOT of hot ID x TB's! And we have a massively talented connie x tb on the yard who is also a little hot though with proper training he seems to be chilling out. I would work out a type and disregard breeding except where you know,,as an eg, if you are small, then something out of Coevers Diamond Boy is invariably quite heavy. Something out of a TB stallion tends to be much lighter.

Mavis007

Visit site
There was an excellent thread on here a while ago called something like Famous stallion quirks or something similar that was very interesting. Again, I think it is very different to generalise but there are certainly particular stallions that often seem to throw certain traits. Animo tends to produce hot but talented jumpers that are usually more pro rides for example. However as "breeds" it is very difficult as the breed/studbook seems to be taken from the dam line. People on here can probably advise better on good stallions for amateurs. I have heard that Cevin Z is a good one but I don't know how true- on my list for the future though :)

rowy

Visit site
I would go native cross. I have 2 now, a welsh x tb who is so chilled and laid back but talented (although wouldn't mind a bit more oomph!) and just got a connie x tb/Id who is a extremely fast learner and looks as if she has a fair bit of talent but so easy to back so far.

Puppy

Visit site
I love a connie x TB :) My current one is a star; He has tons of character and talent, & is loads of fun to ride, BUT he can be sharp at times. ;)

siennamum

Visit site
I am firmly on the side of an ID x TB as the perfect sane and capable all rounder. I think the TB makes a big difference though.

I think connie x's are talented but can be piggy & a bit too clever for their own good - typical ponies.

The only natives I think are generally genuine are sec C's & D's. They can be a bit nervy & hot, but aren't piggy natives.

We have a lusoxarabxISH who is shaping up to be a lovely all rounder & really sane & sensible. A bit of a worryer but no problem for a half decent rider.

TarrSteps

Visit site
I think you can't generalise. ;) The Cevin Z's all do seem to have lovely temperaments but if I looked at one that seemed sharp I would not discount my observations in favour of the paper. There is breeding I might avoid but if the horse was doing the job, again, I would take it at face value.

What I would avoid is anything specifically bred for high level sport. As a rule the temperament to win at the top end is counter to what is needed for a more sedate life. I'm amazed when people buy horses that are bred to move fast, jump in the air, and spin like tops then are shocked when they do just that!

Something bred for the amateur market is more likely to have the temperament you're looking for, so it's worth looking for lines that are excelling in that sphere. A lot of ex race horses are also suitable - racing is a hard life and, despite what people think, if they were wingnuts they'd all have nervous breakdowns the first day. They might need a bit of reprogramming and some assistance learning their new job but that can often be done with time and patience.

I still think word of mouth/connections are the way to go if you can. I'd also say go to a dealer with a good reputation and listen carefully to what they say but also trust your instincts. A good dealer won't - and shouldn't - stop you from buying the wrong horse. They are in the business of selling horses, after all. But they stand to gain if they sell you the right one.

tweedette

Visit site
After many years of natives and wpbr's I now find myself with warmbloods, and I do agree some of the finer bred animals are quite tricky , especially as youngsters. I find for temprement Week Orchard stud have some lovely things and not at silly money. This is their resident stallion
http://www.weekorchard.co.uk/richelshagen_7.html
We bought a foal from them 2 yrs ago and what a great attitude to life she has(plus she wins in the showring) , nothing upsets her whatsoever, and shes registered oldenburg. Mind they are what it says on the tin, warmbloods - through and through. Certainly have no native instinct when it comes to the weather, if you want something more weather tolerant then its a wpbr or native cross I rekon.

TarrSteps

Visit site
The above is a good example. Rubinstein is known for producing good ridability, even in very athletic horses. So the combination of a stallion like that and a breeding program in this country targeted to not just a professional market, is more likely to yield a more suitable candidate than, say, a pro targeted outfit standing a stallion from a less rideable line.

rubyrumba

Visit site
After many years of natives and wpbr's I now find myself with warmbloods, and I do agree some of the finer bred animals are quite tricky , especially as youngsters. I find for temprement Week Orchard stud have some lovely things and not at silly money. This is their resident stallion
http://www.weekorchard.co.uk/richelshagen_7.html
We bought a foal from them 2 yrs ago and what a great attitude to life she has(plus she wins in the showring) , nothing upsets her whatsoever, and shes registered oldenburg. Mind they are what it says on the tin, warmbloods - through and through. Certainly have no native instinct when it comes to the weather, if you want something more weather tolerant then its a wpbr or native cross I rekon.

This!! I bought a foal who is now 4 and I have just sold (mainly as she was too good for me and I couldn't see her wasted :-( ) She was the most special horse in the world, never ever put a foot wrong, so trainable and an amazing temperament. Richelshagen is the same, he is something else! She turned heads wherever she went and anyone that had any dealings with her also commented on how well behaved she was with perfect manners! She always won everything out showing, people were wowed by her breathtaking movement. Definitely worth a look, you really would not be disappointed.

Scarlett

Visit site
a calm, easy going competition horse capable of BS BN/Disc, BE intro/PN and all day to day horse activities inc hacking/pleasure rides, cubbing/hunting, and pot some low level team chasing?

I have had many horses now, youngsters that ive produced myself to older 'schoolmaster' sorts. Tb x, WB x, KWPN's, Belgium, Danish and irish inc star kingdom/kinf of diamonds and clover hill etc etc etc

I have decided to sell up for the winter to recoup enough funds to buy my ultimate allrounder/competition horse next year (I can save far more when not paying out constantly on livery, shoes, teeth etc etc lol)

I love warmbloods and part breds, but can anybody recommend the best breeding to suit small lady rider, competant but not wanting anything sharp, needlessly spooky or have an unpredictble edge to them......wondered who could point me in the direction of breeding that would suit as i know a lot of personalities and quirks come through genetics.

Any info really appreciated :)

Aren't you selling a nice ISH youngster that could do all of those things? Why not just hang onto him?

kerilli

Visit site
I'd go Irish, but looking for true Irish bloodlines not the newer 'born in Ireland, just don't ask how much continental warmblood there is in there' version.
Or, Narramore Stud works to breed exactly what you are looking for, I think, lots of very sane Choc babies out there giving amateurs a lot of fun and success.
Or, I had a 'May I' mare in to back from Sally Forster's Groomsbridge stud a few years ago, she was a very sweet and sane little horse, absolute cracking natural style over a fence (apparent from the first time she left the floor on the lunge), she took everything in her stride, and she's gone on to do good things.
I came to the realisation of exactly what TS describes so well, one day, when trying to stay on a huge very naughty, very powerful warmblood... all that athleticism and power is great when it is going in exactly the direction you want it to, but it's a bit challenging if they decide to use it against you in a moment of fun! ;) ;)

zizz

Visit site
Or, Narramore Stud works to breed exactly what you are looking for, I think, lots of very sane Choc babies out there giving amateurs a lot of fun and success.

Secon the vote for a Narramore horse, my 5yo is an absolute saint with all the ability in the world. I compete alone and he has excellent manners, but enough sparkle not to be boring. He hunts, jumps, hacks alone/in company sensibly, has won at county level showing and is doing well at BD. He is also in our RC's quadrille team and is absolutely worth his weight in gold.

CrazyMare

Visit site
Interestingly most enquiries about my little chap for sale have been from small adults looking for a horse to do moderate level affilated disciplines on.

Mine is solidly pony bred on one side, and pony/horse on the otherside. He is by Bernwode Brokat, out of a mare by Irco Lhee out of a Welshx dam.

Almost all enquries have been along the lines of 'I had a big horse, and it got too much, I want something safe, sensible, but with enough potential to be mid level competitive'

Now I just need to turn an enquiry into a sale...!