Best Stirrups

DressageCob

Visit site
Hello!

I need new stirrups and the market seems much more varied than when I bought my plastic stirrups 10 years ago! So I don't know what to get. I currently have plain black plastic composti stirrups for jumping and plastic cheese graters for dressage.

I'm looking for two sets, one for my dressage saddles and one for my jump saddles.

I would like the dressage ones to be BD legal, so I understand they have to be a solid conventional colour.
I don't have any real ankle or knee problems, except for general wear and tear. My lower leg is not very stable, so that's an ongoing area of displeasure.

Dressage-wise I do novice/elementary. I jump non-competitively mainly, 90cm approx at home, but am going to do a couple of BE80s this season.

I was wondering about tech stirrups for dressage and free jumps for jumping. But I'm not sure.

Any views?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I like my Sprenger stirrups.

My last ones I had for almost 20 years. They were the original System 4 type. The treads had worn out and they had become too small (I seem to have grown to a size 9!) so I bought new treads to make them right and sold on ebay for £80. They were pretty much as good as new once I had new treads on. If only they weren't too small.

I did try some cheaper bendy ones at work (who would not pay out for Sprenger) but they did not last more than a year or so, and once the plastic split you could see that the fittings were cheap.

My new (larger) ones are Sprenger too, but this time the ones with a bend in them, forget the name, but they have a black and blue tread as opposed to a plain black tread.

I can testify to the safety of the Sprengers, I have come off at all angles and because the foot bed bends with your foot, your foot does not become wedged and will slide out.

Hoping for another 20 years with my new ones, but now I know how cheap and easy the replacement treads are I will replace them as soon as they become worn.

Shay

Visit site
The Sprenger with the black & blue tread are the bow balance - and absolutely agree with Red. Brilliant stirrups.

Jellymoon

Visit site
Oh, and I had some free jumps, but sold them on EBay as I didn’t like them. They were heavy, and you can’t run them up properly, v expensive also.

Squeak

Visit site
I have a set of Avacallo Opera stirrups which I really like, I feel they give good stability and are well-balanced.

I have these as well and really like them, much better than standard stirrups, they made it possible for me to ride just after a foot operation.

AFB

Visit site
I have Jin's and love them. Not one for gadgets but the wider foot plate has done wonders for my lower leg stability.