Best supplement alternative to Ventipulmin?

lucy_108

Visit site
I have a 22 year old who was diagnosed with COPD/Asthma about ten years ago. It's been pretty straightforward to manage, but I have noticed over the last 6 months it's getting a little worse.
Previously, he only got 'flare ups' when the season/temperature changed so we'd have him on Ventipulim once or twice during the transition out of winter into spring and then out of Summer into the colder Autumn/Winter weather.
Sadly, he now seems to be more reliant on ventipulmin but I was wondering if anyone has found a supplement or non POM alternative to help with opening up the airways/improving breathing as I'd rather not have him on Ventipulmin long term.
He is on steamed hay and gets as much turnout as possible (sadly, he's not a fan of living out despite much encouragement so he does come in overnight during the winter but has a very very well ventilated stable and dust extracted bedding).

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I have found NAF Respirator Boost to be very effective for my little horse who has to be managed very carefully. Cardboard bedding and hoovering the stable weekly also helps.

My show jumping friend who transports horses long distance (continental) recommended the NAF Resp boost, apparently many people use it when transporting long distance when heads are tied up for prolonged periods.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have found NAF Respirator Boost to be very effective for my little horse who has to be managed very carefully. Cardboard bedding and hoovering the stable weekly also helps.

My show jumping friend who transports horses long distance (continental) recommended the NAF Resp boost, apparently many people use it when transporting long distance when heads are tied up for prolonged periods.
I've considered hoovering mine on occasions but it's more to satisfy my own need of how I want them to look after I have got rid of the cobwebs 😆

trainwithbrain

Visit site
We tried Dr Silver Respiratory Support PRO seems to be new in the market but looks good stuff and horses eat without problem. took few days to get into system but can see improvement with ours.

You can take a look at www.dr-silver.co.uk and see if this will help your horse.

You also need to make sure hay you feeding is not very dusty hay. If hay and surrounding is dusty then unfortunately no supplement or treatment will stop your horse coughing.
I have a 22 year old who was diagnosed with COPD/Asthma about ten years ago. It's been pretty straightforward to manage, but I have noticed over the last 6 months it's getting a little worse.
Previously, he only got 'flare ups' when the season/temperature changed so we'd have him on Ventipulim once or twice during the transition out of winter into spring and then out of Summer into the colder Autumn/Winter weather.
Sadly, he now seems to be more reliant on ventipulmin but I was wondering if anyone has found a supplement or non POM alternative to help with opening up the airways/improving breathing as I'd rather not have him on Ventipulmin long term.
He is on steamed hay and gets as much turnout as possible (sadly, he's not a fan of living out despite much encouragement so he does come in overnight during the winter but has a very very well ventilated stable and dust extracted bedding).
We tried Dr Silver Respiratory Support PRO seems to be new in the market but looks good stuff, smells nice and horses eat without problem. Took few days to get into system but can see improvement with ours.

You can take a look at www.dr-silver.co.uk and to be frank priced sensibly considering some of top quality ingredients.
Not sure if this will help your horse too but worth a try and see if this will help your horse.

Most important thing is you also need to make sure hay you feeding is not very dusty. If hay and surrounding are dusty then unfortunately no supplement or treatment will stop your horse coughing.

Good luck. Hope your horse feels better.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
My oldie has not had an episode since moving onto short chop forage and hay replacers. He usually gets a flare up in high summer, but I suspect the wet summer has helped on that score.
He has no access to hay at all, and is stabled at the top of the yard away from the hay store, and kept as dust free as possible. Never had any success with Ventipulmin and wondered for years whether it was a true allergy.

trainwithbrain

Visit site
My oldie has not had an episode since moving onto short chop forage and hay replacers. He usually gets a flare up in high summer, but I suspect the wet summer has helped on that score.
He has no access to hay at all, and is stabled at the top of the yard away from the hay store, and kept as dust free as possible. Never had any success with Ventipulmin and wondered for years whether it was a true allergy.
Pollen count can contribute depending your horse sensitivity. Sometimes we think hay is fairly clean but you can see all the dust cloud on close inspection.
Every horse is different and some are more prone and allergen than others.
Try what's available in market just to help your horse breathe better. Some horses responds to certain products better in my experience and Dr Silver Respiratory support PRO is giving our a great support with breathing.
Good luck and I really hope your horse feels better