Best supplement for hoof growth

Tempi

Visit site
As per the title, I need to find a good supplement for hoof growth - Bloss's feet are hardly growing at all at the moment (shes barefoot) and my barefoot trimmer (yes i'm turning into a bunny hugger ;) :D ) has said she needs something to help her feet.

She has advised me to get Equimins Hoof Mender - does anyone else use this?

Am open to other suggestions aswell. Obviously F4F is the main contender.

Equimins also do a biotin supplement which is meant to help with foot growth/condition but I don't think it is as good as the hoof mender from what I can gather.

I have looked at Feedmarks version aswell but you seem to have to feed rather a lot and its actually very expensive compared to the Equimins.

Sorry have posted in here - but it is for my competition horse ;)

Leg_end

Visit site
My MiL uses NAF's stuff.. Can't remember what it's called but it's really worked and he's one from not being able to keep shoes on at all to have no issues. She started him in the liquid as he's now on the powder. Think it's about £30 for 2 months supply..

kirstykate

Visit site
Seaweed, I use seaquim and there is good growth all year round, check them out on facebook, the pictures speak a thousand words;)

Tempi

Visit site
Seaweed, I use seaquim and there is good growth all year round, check them out on facebook, the pictures speak a thousand words;)

Really, i'd not heard that seaweed would help hoof growth - will have a look as I like to use all natural products and herbs on my horses so seaweed would be ideal!

How much of it do you feed?

wench

Visit site
I have used Equine answers hoof suppliment before. Seems cheaper than most of the others.

I would also recommend Cut/Heal hoofheal you paint on. Comes in a pink and yellow tub. Works wonders!

leflynn

Visit site
I love equimins supplements at the minute, they seem to be very good value and quality! I have mine on seaweed to help his hooves, too early to tell any difference at the minute though I am v pleased with their service :)

mrussell

Visit site
Right, this might seem a tad "weird" but I feed 2 spoonfuls of Gelatin a day (from ebay) plus one spoonful of seaweed (from Charnwood Milling).

Ive tried every supp on the market for Chesters manky feet and the change has been INCREDIBLE! In just 4 weeks the hoof wall looks like wet turtle shells rather than dried out goats feet ! The farrier was blown away.

Dont get me started on Gelatin as Im a veggie myself but I couldnt watch him suffer anymore. If you arent adverse to feeding it, try it !!

ThePony

Visit site
I wouldn't use seaweed, the high iodine is a problem as v v few horses are actually deficient in it.
Things I would feed (though not really a supp I guess, more of a complete vit and min mix) are:
Pro hoof (ebay from progressive earth)
Meta balance from equimins (more closely follows common deficiencies found in UK grazing than other equimins offerings)
Ours had their grazing analysed and the minerals worked out by Forage Plus so we feed exactly what they need in the right ratios to balance out their forage - an absolutly incredible difference in both of them!
Add to the above about 150g of microionized linseed and your horse should be in a good place to grow some excellent feet!

zizz

Visit site
Right, this might seem a tad "weird" but I feed 2 spoonfuls of Gelatin a day (from ebay) plus one spoonful of seaweed (from Charnwood Milling).

Ive tried every supp on the market for Chesters manky feet and the change has been INCREDIBLE! In just 4 weeks the hoof wall looks like wet turtle shells rather than dried out goats feet ! The farrier was blown away.

Dont get me started on Gelatin as Im a veggie myself but I couldnt watch him suffer anymore. If you arent adverse to feeding it, try it !!

My farrier always reccomends cheap old jelly squares disolved in some water to dampen the evening feeds with. Works much better than farriers formular at a fraction of the cost!

cyberhorse

Visit site
Kevin Bacon hoof formula worked really well for us, but it is a bit hard on the pocket long term. I put him on this and then swapped to a normal feed balancer with a specific hoof complex in later when they had got growing nicely to maintain things.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
You don't mention the basic management, and diet which in my case [upped to a 500kg horse
100gms linseed meal
2kg Fast Fibre
or 1kg FF plus 1 kg non-mollassed sugar beet
1 - 2 lb oats mix dependant on work
Ad lib [or less] haylage or hay.
30gms mix of: seaweed, equimins advance, feedmark steady up
ie fibre plus minerals plus regular roadwork.
Although I use supplements it is only once I have the basics correct.
Regular Roadwork
Regular Turnout

Last edited:

Bojangles

Visit site
I got mine from my vets its fab stuff but it stinks!!!!! I have seen a very big change in beau growth esp as he got a hole in foot from a op.

Tempi

Visit site
No deficiency at all, she is on a very balanced diet and us in amazing condition. The lack of growth is due to the fact that she suffers from ulcers. Whilst the ulcers are being treated her hoof growth is getting better but we would like it to ideally be more.

My barefoot trimmer and nutritionist have both said to put her on equimins hoof mender hence I've asked on here for advice and people's views on it or what others use.

Thank you to everyone who has replied, lots to look at and think about :)

Waltzing Matilda

Visit site
If she has ulcers then there may well b a defficieny as she may not absorbe everything in her balanced diet, therefore makingng it unbalanced. So in this case a suppliment may b the best way to go. What r u using to treat ulcers?
Best wishes. X

spookypony

Visit site
I've heard good things about Equimins and F4F.

I feed Forageplus "Summer Balancer", which is their supplement based on their data for most common UK deficiencies. Seems to be helping. Feet were wearing a bit fast, with increased work-load. I've also been using boots for longer/faster work, and the feet are looking much better after a month.

Mo11y

Visit site
Hi tried the Equimins Hoof mender but neither of my two will eat it. In fairness to them it stinks like very strong burnt broccolli - and yes I do know what that smells like:eek: Have gone back to Farriers Formula :)

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I recommend

formula4feet
seaweed
also Kevin Bacon products
and rubbing cornucresine in everyday massaging it 10 mins per foot.

Fuzzypuff

Visit site
I used Hoof Mender for my previous horse and it was really excellent. He was barefoot and it really improved his feet, became much less sensitive to stones and seemed to cope with grass better (he wasn't laminitic but bordering on it I think).

Have taken shoes off current horse and am putting him on the meta balance as have heard good things about that.