Best to feed?... I'd love some help

showaddy1

Visit site
I have two heavyweight mares, both good doers, who are fed Top spec comp balancer, alpha and speedibeet. They are both rather 'round'.... but not horrifically overweight. Anyway, the one mare has a 'clicky' hock, the vet has suggested a cortaflex supplement.
TBH, times are hard right now, and although if this is what my mares need to have then so be it.. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a cheaper alternative? or maybe I need to change their feed regime all together...
Any advice would be gratefully received..

curio

Visit site
I have two heavyweight mares, both good doers, who are fed Top spec comp balancer, alpha and speedibeet. They are both rather 'round'.... but not horrifically overweight. Anyway, the one mare has a 'clicky' hock, the vet has suggested a cortaflex supplement.
TBH, times are hard right now, and although if this is what my mares need to have then so be it.. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a cheaper alternative? or maybe I need to change their feed regime all together...
Any advice would be gratefully received..

vetvits equiflex is reasonably priced works for my cob
http://www.vetvits.co.uk/horse-supplements/equiflex/productdetail-p15877-c3184.aspx#.UF9rSY2PWkM
use code BH-VSE at check out to get £2 off each order
I also feed the msm if you order both seperately youll get £2 off each tub postage is free delivery is quick

Suzie G

Visit site
I use Equine Answers Premier Flex Plus and found the results amazing. Not sure about the price comparison but if you google Equine Answers they have a website to buy from as I don't think it's sold in shops. I usually but the 1kg tub and it seems to last me months.

FoxTrotx

Visit site
If they're already chubby do they really need the hard feed? Could you just feed them a forage type feed with the cortaflex? The money you save on the rest could perhaps pay for the cortaflex or at least go towards it :)

showaddy1

Visit site
Thanks for your replies... I have wondered about whether they 'need' hard feed. I started using the top spec when my mares feet were looking poor.. It was recommended to me by a friend, and within a month my two girls were gleaming, more energy and just seemed to be happier ( sounds naff I know) and her feet are much better..
I wish I could find someone who wasnt trying to sell me their product, or whichever they make the most money on, just tell me honestly what my girls need.

Suzie G

Visit site
I give mine a scoop of the supplement in with a big handful of happy hoof, not sure who makes it but it was great for my good doer. Coat and hooves great condition and he didn't feel left out when the others got their hard feed.

Triskar

Visit site
My lot (25 yr old Arab, 4 yr old Arab, 16 yr old tubby PBA (who is muzzled when turned out), 16yr old VERY tubby off track TB) just get hay/grass and a Horslyx. The old Arab has a respiratory one, the 2 16 year olds a mobility one, and the baby an ordinary one. They are all shiny, hard hooved (none of them are shod, and they all hack out on the road - the TB sometimes has hoof boots on the front, if he's going to be doing more on the road than round the village) and up to their work - schooling/hacking most days and competing RC dressage. And they are all sane, and nice people to know, handle and ride! It works out very inexpensive - I buy the field Horslyx for their stables as they are 15kg, and I get them when Countrywide Farmers do a discount on horse feeds. These cost about £24 each for the mobility and respiratory, and last them a month to 6 weeks. The ordinary one is £16.

wench

Visit site
Why are they on the comprehensive balancer? Move them on to the leisuretime version.

Ready grass/graze on makes a very good cheaper alternative to chaff, but has comparable calories to alfafa.

Buy a bag of normal unmollassed sugarbeet, and soak for 24 hours. Its way cheaper!

showaddy1

Visit site
Been to feed supplier today, was recommended chaff, un molassed sb, equimins advance complete and poss some micronised linseed... Does this sound reasonable? ( I havent bought yet!)
They were suprised I was feeding my 2 fatties Top Spec, feel a little daft now!:eek: