Best training treats...

Fiona

Visit site
I have a 4 month old terrier pup. We are attending a puppy training class and also obviously working on off lead recall on walks..

Up to now I've used either cheese or bought soft treats, but what is the absolute best?

Training lady had a tub of what looked like soft bacon bits, but when I asked she said they came from England. I've cooked some sausages for this week's class and will chop them v small and put in a bag.

Does anyone know what the training lady might have had, or what is the absolutely most desirable treat there is?

Very grateful for any help...

Fiona

CorvusCorax

'It's only a laugh, no harm done'
Visit site
I just start with the dog's normal dry food and feed the dog during training sessions. That way if I hit a problem then I can bring out something of higher value.
If I'm already using cheese and sausage and I hit an issue then I'm snookered. Plus my life is too short to cut things up, and I would eat cheese and hot dog sausages myself :p
You could mix the dry food with treats so every now and then there is a jackpot. If you feed wet, then ignore me!!

3Beasties

Visit site
I buy cooked cocktail sausages from a super market. Each one can be cut into 10 little bits and work a treat (excuse the pun!)

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
If you ask dog #1 it's cut-up cocktail sausages - specifically those, not normal cooked sausages. Dog #2 will eat anything (soil, leaves and stones have not been unknown) and treats dry kibble with the same hand-chomping and squealing enthusiasm as anything else. Dog #3 eats only bits of dehydrated chicken breast strips and only in certain circumstances.

Sausages are probably a good bet. :p Other high value stuff I've seen used are dehydrated liver bits and tubes of squeezy primula cheese.

Alec Swan

Visit site
……..

Does anyone know what the training lady might have had, or what is the absolutely most desirable treat there is?

……..

Fiona

Fiona, when faced with temptation, there is no treat extant which will change the mind of a determined terrier, …….. not one! There are few dogs of such hedonistic bent as a terrier, …….. not one!

For some, it's all part of the appeal. :) Enjoy the ride! :D

Alec.

Fiona

Visit site
Hubby does dried kibble cc, but at the training class with all the distraction I want a really fab treat lol...

Thanks 3B and black cob. I'll go with the sausages for now though squeeze cheese sounds interesting lol..

Anyone have an idea what the training lady's treats could be? She could have bought them at cruft last month I suppose...

Fiona

Fiona

Visit site
Fiona, when faced with temptation, there is no treat extant which will change the mind of a determined terrier, …….. not one! There are few dogs of such hedonistic bent as a terrier, …….. not one!

For some, it's all part of the appeal. :) Enjoy the ride! :D

Alec.

Now Alec don't wind me up... I've had 2 terriers before with good recall, I intend to have a third or die trying ;)

She's an absolute gannet with food, so I'm hoping that helps :)

Fiona

Alec Swan

Visit site
Sorry Fiona, but looking at the pup; …….. NOT A HOPE IN HELL! That pup has 'Please myself' written all over her face. :)

Training Classes? Pah, ……… not a chance! She looks a bonny wee thing, I'll grant you that! :)

How's she bred, just out of mild curiosity? :)

Alec.

3Beasties

Visit site
Another thing my instructor uses for treats is lung of some sort - possibly dehydrated? - looks kind of dried up and comes in a big bit that they break smaller pieces off. It absolutely stinks and seems to tempt even the stubborn dogs!

Fiona

Visit site
Her name is lily but hubby calls her bandit lol because she is always into something she shouldn't be...

She is a wire haired fox terrier crossed with a lakeland.

Fiona

Fiona

Visit site
Another thing my instructor uses for treats is lung of some sort - possibly dehydrated? - looks kind of dried up and comes in a big bit that they break smaller pieces off. It absolutely stinks and seems to tempt even the stubborn dogs!

I'll do a Google search on dehydrated lung :)
Goodness knows what ill find

Fiona

satinbaze

Visit site
I make my own. Liver cake, pilchard cake and pumpkin cake (when j can get canned pumpkin). Made in large batches, cut up, bagged and frozen. I also sometimes use hotdog sausages. I vary which I use so the dog never knows which reward it will be. This gives a stronger behaviour similar to using a variable schedule of rewards.

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
Floddens all time favourite was frankfurter sausages chopped into small pieces. But to be honest as hes not food orientated it didnt really work as a training aid. he looks for a stroke, or a well done from me. But unlike many terriers, Bedlingtons can be incredibly loyal and look for approval all the time, not food.

Fiona

Visit site
Great idea satinblaze I'll try to vary it..

Bosworth that's like my JRTS but this lady is thankfully obsessed by food :)

Fiona