Best treatment for OA in hocks?

LBird

Visit site
My 23yo Sports horse very probably has arthritic hocks. The Vet is coming tomorrow to discuss the diagnosis and treatment options. The left hock is chronic and the right is acute. He is not lame, he tears around the field like a hooligan and happily stands on his hinds legs to wave at me and show me his tummy (the bugger)! He has been on Boswelia Serrata for several months and I recently added Vetrofen Intense (after the acute arthritis in the right hock was identified). We work in-hand at the moment with aim to ride again when he is fit, as long as the arthritis doesn't prohibit that.

My question is about treatment options. I'm reluctant to go down the steroid route, having had little success and total failure with that treatment option in the past (not this horse). Does anyone have experience of Cartrophen or Arthramid? Or anything else for that matter? TIA for your help.

piglet2001

Visit site
Hi

I have used both arthramid and cartrophen although not for hocks. I have had great success with both and know others who have had to,

Like everything though what works for one will not necessarily work for another.

tatty_v

Visit site
Both our old boys have had their hocks medicated - one with steroids and one with arthromed as he has cushings. Both have improved significantly. The boy with cushings also has inflacam every other day. I’ve been so impressed with the difference for both of them and wouldn’t hesitate to medicate again.