Best turn out pen

pootler

Visit site
I'm looking at getting a turn out pen for a recovering horse. Looking online at the different manufacurers they all seem much of a muchness. Would appreciate any feedback about best type and any issues you have had with them.

GirlFriday

Visit site
Is there a reason you wouldn't use electric for this - possibly the most flexible if you want to increase the area gradually... Or will horse (after box rest) not respect it?

pootler

Visit site
Horse is hard to keep in the field as he jumps out and has consequently injured himself badly making a partial escape. Need him in a high sided prison to aid recovery and quite possibly on an ongoing basis as he won't stay in a field.

pippixox

Visit site
has he ever been in one before? only, I borrowed one when my boy was recovering from a tendon, and he went from a horse who was always happy out for the day, to a horse who paces and picked up quite some speed after only an hour out.

I ended up doing small field and then found he was most chilled with as much space as possible and with company. He was honestly going to do himself another injury staying in the small space.

I do know people who have used the barriers they have on building sites as a cheaper option and can be bigger. or extra high electric fence posts

AFB

Visit site
I think you can hire - not sure if it's cost effective but worth looking in to as a trial perhaps?