Best Turned Out prize at BE...

kerilli

Visit site
I've just been putting the latest XC Update (soon to be renamed "Pre-Event Report" to try to encourage more event organisers to submit information about their events) on the ERA website and was delighted (as a bit of an old stickler!) to see that they are awarding a trophy in every section for Best Turned Out, as well as for XC Round closest to the optimum time, and of course for section winners. Lovely sponsors, very generous imho... esp as I've been hearing of less-than-generous prizes elsewhere, including 1st-6th prizes all the same and worth £8 each, and even cheaper somewhere else!
I know there's a Best Turned Out prize at a lot of 3-days (usually a "Groom's Prize) but I can't remember seeing it at a 1-day before...
Thoughts? Do you think this is a great idea and very generous of them (as I do!) or not?

Oops, forgot to say, it's Smiths Lawn.

Last edited:

Luci07

Visit site
I do. I know this has very mixed reactions from some people who don't see why they have to bother and others (like me) who think that making an effort to turn out is part and parcel of the whole event.

And blowing BE members trumpets a little here - think it might be quite high. While I appreciate its not a showing class, I always think that the standard is really high!

kerilli

Visit site
Ah thanks. Yes I agree, I think it is. I also agree that the standard of turnout at BE is generally very high and something to be encouraged.

Yes, agreed, very difficult to judge actually, since ime 95+% of BE competitors are usually as immaculately turned out as they can be! I wonder if the dressage judges are going to be asked to judge it?
As I posted previously on another thread, the unplaited, very stable-stained grey at ALW BE a few years ago was a huge exception. I've never seen the like of it... it was too badly presented to do a local minimus imho!

Luci07

Visit site
Oops, Smiths Lawn, thought i'd mentioned it, will edit! Ta. I think it's really generous of them.

They used to give out rosettes for those who had gone clear on the XC too which was highly appreciated, particularly as my mare would never do a decent test. I still have some from Smiths Lawn. Wonder if they still have the horse showers available.. and if you hang on long enough, the polo players come on later as well!

kerilli

Visit site
They used to give out rosettes for those who had gone clear on the XC too which was highly appreciated, particularly as my mare would never do a decent test. I still have some from Smiths Lawn. Wonder if they still have the horse showers available.. and if you hang on long enough, the polo players come on later as well!

this is sounding more and more appealing... polo players and showers... ;) ;) ;)

lex2501

Visit site
I have just had a look and it's Smith's Lawn.

Such a fantastic idea! I know that the event has had a bit of bad press over the last few years so it's great to see new initiatives to get people entering. I have to say I am quite tempted to re-route from Wilton ON as a result!

Great idea and I hope more events follow suit :)

NR99

Visit site
It's a lovely idea, but ideally I would like any spare funds going towards improving the ground, as it is such a shame that such a lovely event does not offer very nice going.

lex2501

Visit site
They have stated that they will be watering dressage and show jumping so hopefully they will be making an effort with the xc too?! Surely they have to after all the negative feedback from last few years. I know so many people who have vowed not to go again which is such a shame as it is a fantastic setting.

SpottedCat

Visit site
I think it's a great idea IF the event is already giving decent prizes for each section and IF the eligibility were somewhat restricted - my gut feeling is that the pros are likely to lift the best turned out prizes, it's easier to worry about things like perfect quarter markers when you have a fleet of grooms ;)

On the other hand I guess it's nice for the grooms to be recognised I suppose! But whilst my horse is always clean and plaited, I don't have the luxury of someone else doing studs and quarter markers (and often when alone time is tight and so things like quarter markers fall by the wayside!). Nor do I have someone to wipe the soles of my boots before my feet go in the stirrups, and to clean off any slobber before I trot down the CL, so I can't see how this is anything other than a grooms prize (which for the record is fine, but why not acknowledge that?!).

You're right though, it is generous!

Mount Ballan give out best dressage rosettes (though you have to complete to be eligible) - that's a nice touch too I think.

humblepie

Visit site
Not BE but years ago when Woodspring/Hand was set up they used to do best turned out for their show jumping. Off I toddled to a Wednesday evening show jumping show, horse done up to the nines (well mane and tail plaited and clean). Got there and for some reason it was cancelled, so went off to another evening show jumping show about 20 miles away and felt very overdressed!

Always think it is a nice idea to have effort etc recognised. Am trying to get other half to wear a kilt to try for the best dressed grooms prize but he says he won't.

rotters13

Visit site
Just entered there as I think they are really trying to 'rebrand' the event. Entered the owner-rider section in the hope of not being against too many professional grooms! -toddles off to go and research how to do quartermarks and plait with thread...-

Lolo

Visit site
That sounds brilliant. We akways turn Reg out to the highest standard possible (although if I'm not there he's not plaited as he can be a total douche after 25 minutes, and Al's skills aren't quite there... She's getting there though!! His mane lies totally flat to his neck and is immaculately pulled and he gleams though) and we love PC team stuff because it's rewarded with rosettes and stuff.

TableDancer

Visit site
Can't get worked up either way about the best turned out prizes, and think SCs points are valid. However, I'm always in favlur of decent prizes and can I take this opportunity to plug Monmouth ODE (17th September) which gives a bottle of wine to every competitor who finishes on their dressge score :) :) (Can you tell that I have something to do with organising this event?? :D)

MegaBeast

Visit site
Can't get worked up either way about the best turned out prizes, and think SCs points are valid. However, I'm always in favlur of decent prizes and can I take this opportunity to plug Monmouth ODE (17th September) which gives a bottle of wine to every competitor who finishes on their dressge score :) :) (Can you tell that I have something to do with organising this event?? :D)

Now that I like a lot !!! :D

Lolo

Visit site

I'd be up for that, lol! Did a similar thing with a PC ODE mum organised, only with easter eggs from poundland... (very PC, ofc).

TableDancer

Visit site
The time is quite tight and the SJ rairly influential at Monmouth so we don't give out as many as you might think, but it's a nice incentive :) ISZ, you know you are a woman after my own heart but that really might get a bit expensive :p

Nocturnal

Visit site

Now I regret leaving Monmouthshire :mad::p

meardsall_millie

Visit site

m_m gets onto The AA Routemap to see how far it is from Lincoln to Monmouthshire....... :eek:

Decision_Tree

Visit site
I like the idea of better prizes and more prize giving in general - for example for dressage phase.The unaff events I have been to do this and its a lovely thing to do and the cost of a set of ribbions is little for the pleasure people get from winning one! if unaff. can do it then so should BE be able too.

I think the turnout one is good idea as it takes alot of time and effort to turnout and should be rewarded - maybe two prizes one for best amature and one grooms award?

I esp like the idea of wine for a clear.. infact id be pretty chuffed with an easter egg too!!

pearcider

Visit site
Brilliant idea lets hope more event add to the prizes to be won. I dont have a groom but do have a hands on owner who deserves every prize we can earn! (with out owners like this Im sure many of us could not event)

I won best turned out etc one year at Weston park and was as proud as being placed.

We are there with 2 as its such a local event would love to see it improved in status as its such a great venue often let down by the xc going...

BEVol

Visit site
Sounds good! I also liked the idea of best dressage award. I saw this awarded in the sections at Moreton Morrell to the finisher with the best dressage.

:)

Princecharming

Visit site
Id love to win the best turned out prize but I go alone and chuck all my tackmon in 2 seconds flat, have the same boots and gaiters throughout and have my x country top on under my dressage jacket, all to save time haha. So although we are correct and plaited I don't reckon we'd win best turned out any time soon haha. I think it's a lovely idea for grooms though especially non paid ones. And I LOVE the idea of a ribbon for clear x country.