Best turnout rugs - worth blowing the budget?

Lplates

Visit site
Hi, new to rugged ponies (pretty new to ponies altogether tbh!) but my daughter's Exmoor is ancient and has Cushing's and I think we need to mollycoddle the old man and buy him a turnout rug. He mostly lives out with field shelter, although we bring him into the stable on really disgusting nights. Thinking lw or mw max as it doesn't get that cold here.
Before I go shopping - any tips or recommendations? I need a 5ft but he is fairly round. Very hairy but we are just starting him on pergolide so that may change a little, I doubt too much.
I don't want to spend a fortune, but we may as well get this right if he is too wear it most of the winter, and, fingers crossed for a few years more…
Do I spend the extra on a really good turnout or is there a budget one which does the job?
Very grateful for any advice

NinjaPony

Visit site
My pony is 5ft and amigos are a good fit on him- I like their 1200d turnouts as they last well and are good value for money. Rhino also make good pony rugs- just a little more expensive/

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
The Rhino pony rug I had was tiny. Horseware rugs do tend to come up a bit small anyway, but the Rhino pony was about a size smaller than the normal Rhino in the same size. I know that the Amigo is a different model, but I would consider getting a 5ft3 if you go for the Pony version.

ETA - they have both the 5ft and 5ft3 here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amigo-Pon...Horse_Wear_Equipment&var=&hash=item43d0ac5ba4

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Horseware...Horse_Wear_Equipment&var=&hash=item41883bdff2

Last edited:

NinjaPony

Visit site
http://www.ingatestonesaddlery.co.u...t/amigo-bravo-12-250gm-plus-turnout-pony.html Ingatestone do a fair few small pony rugs- its can be really hard to track down decent rugs that go down to a 5'0. I recently bought the stable version of this rug and its really nice.
ETA fair point made by Faracat- my pony is only 11.2hh and in a 5'0 which is just right, a 4'9 is a bit small but I have to say, amigos fit him better than any other rugs I've tried.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
My cushings horse struggles to regulate his temperature and I have to watch he doesn't overheat in his rug. He does play around and get hot though.

Lplates

Visit site
Thanks Alice, I will keep an eye on his temperature, but as he is so old, he doesn't tend to kick up his heels much, so should be okay! ;)

Jenny Wrenny

Visit site
Weatherbeeta are good, especially with the vents in the shoulders for ease of movement. Go for a high denier (1,200) as it will be tougher if he catches it on anything. The last thing you want to do is pay good money for a rug that gets torn easily and then you have a leaky rug! I also find the Horseware range and Masta fit well, generous fit and nice and deep.

oldjumper

Visit site
Does pony use the field shelter? If not, he probably doesn't mind the weather - Exmoor ponies are incredibly hardy. Native ponies with full coat are fine even in very cold weather, it's driving rain that chills them.
If you do decide to rug him up, remember that putting a lightweight rug on can actually make a pony colder than having no rug - it flattens the natural coat so it loses it's insulating properties.

Lplates

Visit site
Hi oldjumper - yes that was what I thought too, but the old man is 26 and has cushiness, so my 'mentor' suggested a rug.

sarahann1

Visit site
I can recommend Swish rugs, they'd probably do your old lad just fine, they have 50g weights, perfect for older natives who need a wee bit extra but would be cooked in mws. They aren't expensive either.