Best waterproofer for legs?

vicm2509

Visit site
Yes mud fever again!!!!

I have now had Baron in for 2 weeks and his mud fever is now clear, all scabs off and no sign of any chapped skin. Oh and I have found that Emollient Cream is absolutly fantastic!! I tried all the other things to clear it up and nothing really worked until I used this. I also used it with clingfilm/bandages and all scabs gone in 24hrs!!

Now if I put him back out its inevitable it will come back as we have clay soil which means the whole field is pretty wet and when he comes in the mud will be up to his knees. So what is the best product to protect his legs as I cant leave him in all winter as hes missing his friends
frown.gif

So far I had been using loads of baby oil and it was working really well until it suddenly flared up a few weeks ago. I was thinking I may carry on using this. I will bring him in, ride him, dry off his legs as much as poss, coat them in iodene spray or something simalar then in the morning put on loads of oil and maybe a little udder cream around the bits most likely to get mud fever.

Any other ideas?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I think you will have to use something stronger than baby oil tbh. Something that I've found works really well is patrolium oil. It's quite thick and really protects the legs. I'm assuming that you are not washing the legs when the horse comes in, but simply bandaging them overnight. Do that and make sure that you apply the oil every day and you hopefull will be ok.

vicm2509

Visit site
No im not washing them, and I dont brush the wet mud off either, i am getting some of those thermalux leg wraps to dry them off then brush off the dry mud in the morning.

Do you know where I can get patrolium oil from?

brightmount

Visit site
I'm using a combination of Sudocrem and Mud Fever spray from http://www.mudfever.net/

Generally Sudocrem in the evening after her legs are thoroughly dry, to the affected area (in our case the coronary band/pastern), and Mud Fever Spray in the morning before turnout, with Equilibrium Close Contact Chaps over the top.

She comes in with hardly any mud on her legs, what little there is I towel off, the chaps however are caked in it and I hose them off and rinse them daily in the washing machine.

Don't put anything "waterproof" on wet legs, as fairly obviously it seals the wet in.

Theresa_F

Visit site
At the risk of sounding like a bore, pig oil - preferably mixed with sulphur to weatherproof and protect and heal. It is not just for hairy legs - worked very well on a friend's arab who was free of mudfever for the first time in years.

Sudocream is also excellent - I like to mix with this sulphur and teatree oil for any sore areas.

Fiona_C

Visit site
After Bud had mudfever, I was recommended to turn him out smothering him in lard, never had it again since (mudfever that is) !!!
grin.gif
Works out a lot cheaper than lots of "equine" remedies.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have heard that udder cream that they use on cattle is good and not that expensive either. Good luck!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Udder salve is better and yes cheap.

fernando

Visit site
My boy had a really tough time with mudfever last year, and what solved it?? A giant tub of vaseline, and we hosed his legs down coming in from the field obv but just smear it all on, I got the Tesco baby vaseline in a pink tub, did the job lovely.