Best waterproofs (for me and horse!)

Lou_Lou123

Visit site
So having got soaked once this week already, I am online shopping for waterproofs.

First, for me. I am looking for a decent pair of waterproof trousers that will keep me dry all day out in the rain but that will also be suitable for riding. I don't mind spending a bit more for good ones, but only if they really will keep me dry!

Secondly, I have a horse that lives out in all but the very worst of the winter weather (mostly because he hates being in) and he finally managed to trash his turnout rug. It fitted him really well and kept him warm and dry for ten years and never rubbed anywhere so I am looking for a heavyweight with a neck for a tb x wb type. I'd like one that offers as much protection as possible, so full neck and big tail flap would be good. Don't want to go for a top of the range price rug, so something mid range that will keep him warm and dry.

Lemon drizzle cake for any recommenations :)

Squidge90

Visit site
I've just had my first outing in the Zara Philips/ Musto range waterproof trousers - they are brilliant so far. I also brought the matching jacket which I am also really impressed with. As for rugs I dont think you can get better then Wetherbeeta - but thats just me.

Herts05

Visit site
Instead of waterproof trousers why not get a good pair of leather chaps. going into my 3rd winter with a pair from Equinochaps. Not the cheapest when you first look, but they are made to measure and the quality is amazing. There's no reason why they shouldn't last for 10 years or so.
They will keep you dry and warm and are brilliant for riding in - not at all bulky

Lou_Lou123

Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm trying to steer away from chaps because I ride and teach and I get a cold backside! Plus I find they always fall down off my waist for some reason. Will have a look at the Zara Phillips ones. Off to look at the rugs, there are so many it's always easier to go with something people have tried!

LynH

Visit site
Musto waterproof chaps and Musto Suffolk long rain coat made last year bearable for me. My horses lived out last year for the first time and I was delighted with all my Horseware rugs. From Rambo Duo to Amigo Hero 6 and even Amigo Mio cheapy rain sheet, all of them stayed dry and with the different thickness of liners which fit in Rambo, Rhino and Amigo rugs I was able to keep all 3 horses at the right temperature as well as dry.

its_noodles

Visit site
i still got my old barbour long stockman wax jacket. it looks the part in particular on the saddle. i must say its absolutely useless when it rains...
:/

meardsall_millie

Visit site
Not the cheapest by a long way but I'd thoroughly recommend the Jomiluti waterproofs (from Treehouse Sporting Colours). They're the favourite of work riders at racing yards so to my mind, anything that stands up to 7 or 8 lots per day is probably going to be ok! ;) Remember they are designed for jockeys though, so come up on the small side.

Rug-wise - I've been completely converted to Premier Equine. Great fit, do the job properly and not stupidly expensive.

Lou_Lou123

Visit site
Lynh - what weight rug is the hero one? I've seen them online but they don't say how much fill they have? I know they say medium but that rangersfrom 100 to 250,

mm- I did spot The jomiluti (sp) ones so glad to hear they are good as don't want to fork out unless they're worth it!

Brightbay

Visit site
I rate the Shires rugs too - my horse is out today in his LW, dry as a bone. His mare friend has a 180g one with neck, and it did her for most of last winter. They live out year round, so rugs need to be good, and the Shires have worked as well as much more expensive ones.

At the moment I'm all wrapped up in an Aldi motorcycle suit - all in one waterproof with reinforced seat. I got it last year because I got sick and tired of fiddling around with separate waterproof trousers and jacket. Just step in, zip up and no rain gets anywhere near me :D

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Sorry can't offer much advice on waterproofs as I'm lucky enough to be able to hire a local indoor when I need it and my yard at home is pretty sheltered.

In terms of rugs my horse has both a lightweight and heavyweight Mark Todd and they are brilliant. Nice and roomy with shoulder gussets and good protection against all sorts of weather. Mine also tends to double up as a stable rug especially if they come in wet in the evening.

http://www.equestrianclearance.com/...odd-light-weight-full-neck-turnout-rug/890495

http://www.equestrianclearance.com/...uxe-heavy-weight-full-neck-turnout-rug/880683

Capriole

Visit site
Looking good for the Musto overtrousers then, I was looking at them the other week but didn't buy. Thinking about it now.
How crackly and slippy are they to ride in?

I want something want and waterproof jacket-wise, any suggestions. Need to replace the POS Equisafety one I got last year.