Best way to approach a drop xcountry??

4whitesocks

Visit site

Anyone any tips? I have conquered (I hope) my issues over jumping a fence on a downhill slope.......despite my fall on Monday - but TBH I'm still not totally sure how I should ride a drop - should I maintain the same pace as if I was approaching an upright fence - then get myself right back in the saddle & pray??!! Or is it better to slow to a trot initially?
I think it's the moments in mid-air that scare me but his royal highness really only stops if he reckons I'm not convinced so I know it's totally up to me!

all advice welcome!

Oh and one more thing.....the fence I came off at on Monday was a water combination of roller into water, step out, 2 strides & pallet type upright fence....we ended up half jumping it, then he saw the water slammed the brakes on & the rest is history BUT I was very indecisive as to whether I should have been steadying up for it or just maintaining the pace I was in.....(which was quite fast but not out of control)

What would you have done....(oh and for those of you who haven't seen the fabulous fall here it is!)
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/Ni...harvey07004.flv

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Slower than you would a normal upright assuming you are jumping at a reasonable XC speed. You dont want the horse too slow as this encourages them to drop down or cat leap off. Neither is desirable. Come in at a steady showjumping canter and just sit back as they go and slip the reins.

Vid doesn't work but if its the one I think then my advice would be to not fold so much over your fences. Stay more upright and you will not be ejected by sudden pecks and stops on approach or landing.

When riding XC it is preferable and a lot safer to be left behind slightly and slip the reins (a must) then to be in front of the movement.

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
Initial reaction to the title of your post was STEADILY. If you feel happier in trot initially then that is fine. Remember to sit up (you will perhaps feel like you are actually leaning back), support with both your hand and leg, when your horse has popped off the drop slip your reins to give him the room to use his neck to balance himself. On landing you can then ride forward positively and gather your reins.

As they say practice makes perfect, you will soon get your confidence back. Would you be able to organise a xc schooling session with an instructor to help you, it may give your confidence an all important boost and help you with approaches to a variety of fences?

Rambo

Visit site
As a SJ'er and coward...i'd say 'with your eyes closed tightly'
tongue.gif

CastleMouse

Visit site
Enter into the drop nice and steadily, but maintaining the impulsion in trot or canter, which ever you prefer. Make sure your horse jumps down it, and not just "drop" down.

spooks

Visit site
not very helpful but ashleighs way

hold saddle with one hand ,throw reins at horse with the other and shut your eyes!
tongue.gif

good job the horse knows what he is doing!!
grin.gif

siennamum

Visit site
You sound like you would have a fantastic time on a XC clinic, with a good trainer. You'll learn to have a secure seat, and be introduced to most of these fences and how they should be ridden. You'll also be braver as you'll be pushed more and encouraged by the others.

ecrozier

Visit site
V.true about being much braver on a clinic, went to a riding club XC lesson on saturday, jumped stuff I would NEVER do if I was left to my own devices! Even one fence that myself and one other girl walked past saying 'god, you'd never get me over that!', which our instructor then put in as the last fence in a sequence! To be fair, we had been looking at it from the wrong side and it was a tyre jump with a drop away behind, so less intimidating from the rigt side, but still, we were both very proud of ourselves!!!
As for drops generally, I used to hate them too, but think just starting small and getting used to the feeling of the horse over obstacles like that helps, then building up slowly to the bigger stuff - we are currently schooling at 2'9 - 3'0 but haven't summoned up the courage to do an actual course yet apart from one at 2'3 to 2'6!! Still think we need more practice!

evsj

Visit site
Don't close your eyes - fix your sights on something in the distance to stop yourself looking down, then you will be ready for the landing and recovery.
I sometimes slow to a trot doing PN drops because otherwise mine gets carried away and would probably take it like it was a ski jump! Otherwise just steady a steady canter.

goeslikestink

www.hozhatz.co.uk
agree with other poster fix your eyes ahead but keep the leg on
ride the jump -- can do it in trot or canter -perfered pace
but depending on depth of drop -- trots ok for smallish one but collected steady canter is better for a bigger drop

sunken roads have a drop in and a jump out some
and are ideal to practice a smallish drop fence
just dont have the water in the middle

the water is the key in the jump you jumped as horse stopped
horses dont know whats in water as they cannot judge the depth
and will often stop- so keep the leg on and be positive and drive the horse forwards

4whitesocks

Visit site
OK - doing this course again on Sunday - probably in the opposite direction which will mean I'm likely to be dropping in to both of the water fences.....I think I'll just bring in back to a steady enough trot and keep the leg on - good idea to fix on a point in the distance.....
There's a sunken road on the course & we stopped at it last week - well to be fair I didn't really ride at it all as as I was nervous of it - but when I came back to it second time he popped down no problem & even though I hadn't gathered my reins properly I just put leg on and he popped out over the jump out no problem (I guess the advantage there is that there's nowhere else for them to go really!)

Planning to skive off early today & have a little play on the xcountry course at the yard....no real drops but there is an on/off bank which I will do some work over in different paces & see how that goes.....

I have also given up cigarettes since Monday (think that not being able to breath may have played a part in my dithering coming into the fence where we fell).....I'm on day 4 smoke free (having smoked 20 a day albeit silk cut ultra) bloody hell it's hard but hopefully will be worth it!

MagicMelon

Visit site
For a drop, I steady right back and usually come in with a strong trot. But then thats just my horse! He hates being rushed off drops so likes to just pop off them calmly. Just make sure your sitting right up and riding defensively, legs forward and let the reins go through your fingers (just dont let go completely obviously) as you go down.

If Im approaching a dodgy combination or something I think my horse might be wary off or cant see right (like a hidden ditch somewhere) then I approach in a strong bouncy canter. I never rush combinations as they're easy to fall off at!

4whitesocks

Visit site
Have just been to walk the course and 4th fence is upright pallet type fence, 2 strides, drop into water, roller out of water....the first part isn't big so I think I'll still approach in a steady trot just in for my own sanity....& steering.
jumping up out of the sunken road this time which should be fine - up steps then down a steep hill to a big log...another small drop (should be fine) then dropping into the water, & up & out over a log...the course is longer & more technical than last week, couple of dog leg combinations, I'd say it will ride faster too but fingers crossed we'll get round.... he was a star today when schooling I just had to point and steer to be honest!

4whitesocks

Visit site
well we didn't fall this time! Did have a stop at the water and two other run-outs towards the end of the course (I was pooped!) and then went again in the singles just to see if I would ride it better once I got my nerves out of the way - second time we just stepped back at the water but we had a really fluid round & am totally delighted - my second time over a novice height course & his third time at a xcountry comp!