best way to feed round bales with minimum wastage.

Hack4fun

Visit site
We have three horses living out in the field. I have been feeding them as lib haylage by dropping a round bale over the fence, and using a large bale net. This works well until the bale is about half eaten when it loses its shape and the horses walk over it.

There must be a better way. Tombstone round bale feeders seem expensive and heavy.

Frustratingly my tractor has broken down so I am feeding them loose haylage at the moment. The wastage rate is even higher as they trample it.

Experiences welcome.

soloequestrian

Visit site
I use a sheep feeder with a net over it. The feeder was much cheaper than the tombstone ones and the horses get on fine with it. It's light enough for me to roll around myself and it splits into two so can be moved as halves - makes it easy to put the bale down and then fasten the feeder around it. I made my own net with a couple of old haynets and some bungee cord - it just goes over the top and then slides down the feeder as the haylage goes down. I have fed loose haylage in it too when the tractor has been poorly.