Best way to give metformin!

vannersrus

Visit site
my mare has recently been diagnosed with EMS and prescribed 8 tablets twice a day .
has anyone got any good ideas of how to fool her into taking them ? They seem impossible to crush and don’t want to dip them in honey or anything ?

vannersrus

Visit site
Has she actually refused them? We have a mare here who happily ate the tablets whole in her feed!
Thank you - I’ve just cut them in half and tried this in her usual handful of safe and sound plus Bute and she gobbled up the lot ??‍♀️
I guess there’s a reason they usually need the metformin in the first place ?
It’s such a bitter medicine though ?‍♂️

teddypops

Visit site
My pony had apple flavoured powder which I had to syringe into her initially but she then ate it quite happily in a feed.

GreyDot

Visit site
Get yourself a pestle and mortar, grind them up, add some water and some apple puree for babies (Ellas Kitchen is great because it's small and resealable) and then syringe in. That way you are definitely getting it in.

vannersrus

Visit site
Get yourself a pestle and mortar, grind them up, add some water and some apple puree for babies (Ellas Kitchen is great because it's small and resealable) and then syringe in. That way you are definitely getting it in.
Thank you - would they increase her sugar levels much though do you think?

ITPersonnage

Visit site
Pestle & mortar as above but I didn't find it necessary to add apple juice, but did add dried mint to feed (always had that to mask the Forage Plus balancer).