Best way to introduce weanling to mare?

MCP030405

Visit site
So I have a new weanling who arrived today.

I want to begin correctly introducing her to my Mare and Current weanling (not her baby, they've been together 10 days)

Theyre stabled with mare in between the weanlings but she doesn't seem overly pleased with the new one.

How would you all go about this?

I'm thinking to put the weanlings in a paddock together and mare paddocked alone next to them for a week?

Mare has bonded to 1st weanling so don't want to give her an excuse to hate the new one.

How would I then go about mixing the 3 back together? Just let them all out into a big field after a week paddocked and stabled next to each other?

Weanlings have been introduced and had a run around the menage but mare seemed a bit put off by it, bucked in her stable when weanling 1 was taken hence why I want to do this right
IMG-20231210-WA0007.jpg

Marigold4

Visit site
So I have a new weanling who arrived today.

I want to begin correctly introducing her to my Mare and Current weanling (not her baby, they've been together 10 days)

Theyre stabled with mare in between the weanlings but she doesn't seem overly pleased with the new one.

How would you all go about this?

I'm thinking to put the weanlings in a paddock together and mare paddocked alone next to them for a week?

Mare has bonded to 1st weanling so don't want to give her an excuse to hate the new one.

How would I then go about mixing the 3 back together? Just let them all out into a big field after a week paddocked and stabled next to each other?

Weanlings have been introduced and had a run around the menage but mare seemed a bit put off by it, bucked in her stable when weanling 1 was taken hence why I want to do this right
View attachment 129833
I don't have any answers but what lovely fluffy babies! What's their breeding?

MCP030405

Visit site
I don't have any answers but what lovely fluffy babies! What's their breeding?
So the chestnut is a cob x shire and the black is a PRE fusion (and will end up grey!)

Theyre so bloody cute together, but I don't want to mess this up with my mare, she's pleasant over the fence but now sees chestnut as her baby as they've been together alone for 10 days, I want to get her used to them being a 3 before letting them all out together JUST in case she rejects the PRE now

Marigold4

Visit site
They are both lovely! I have a mare and foal (foal just weaned/mother sent away) and introduced a new weanling to the herd a few weeks before the mare and foal were separated. The mare kept sending the new foal away and would NOT let her anywhere near her own foal, but once mare had worked out that the new weanling knew how to behave and wasn't a threat, she was happy to let the foals play together. I introduced them to each other in a large field, so the new foal had lots of space to get away and not get kicked.

MCP030405

Visit site
They are both lovely! I have a mare and foal (foal just weaned/mother sent away) and introduced a new weanling to the herd a few weeks before the mare and foal were separated. The mare kept sending the new foal away and would NOT let her anywhere near her own foal, but once mare had worked out that the new weanling knew how to behave and wasn't a threat, she was happy to let the foals play together. I introduced them to each other in a large field, so the new foal had lots of space to get away and not get kicked.
That's the end goal I'm looking for.
The 1st weanling isn't even hers but she sure as he'll thinks it is 😂

I thought it would end up the other way around, the PRE looks like a little version of my TB at the moment and the other is literally a chestnut cob 😂

I'm going to keep the babies together for a few days with mare able to see them both over the fencing (i have a paddock next to the field) then let them out at the weekend and hope for the best.

What was your mare doing to keep the foal away? X

Marigold4

Visit site
She just pulled faces and threatened to bite but never did anything. The new foal was terrified and kept well away. Luckily, she had already bonded with my gelding and he looked after the new foal so she did at least have an adult horse on her side. It was very difficult to catch the new foal when I put them all in together as the new foal was keen to protect herself by keeping away from everything and everyone - except my gelding. I'm new to this as well, so maybe wait for some more experienced advice!

dorsetladette

Visit site
Slowly!

Babies together as they are normally much easier to introduce.

We had to walk my grumpy gelding out with the babies for a good while before he accepted them in his field. We had then separate for a good while. Then hand grazing together and then eventually we walked out and back and then let them out in the same (new field to both) paddock together with headcollars on. Once we were happy we opened up the whole place for a couple of weeks so they had plenty of room to get away from each other and all was good from there onwards.